Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I get more bass response?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mel Monihan, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I have a Mark Hoppus model P-bass that I put a concentric pot on to add a tone control.I asked Seymour Duncans tech's what type resistor I should use to get a good bass response out of the SCPB-3 pup that comes on that bass.We had tried the .0471 resistor that I believe Fender uses on it's p-basses and it didn't work well.I was advised to use a .1 micro farad capacitor (please forgive my spelling) to get a good bass response from the pup.We just did this and I am getting about the same bass response that a normal p-bass gets.The upper end on the pup seems to be hotter as is the overall output of the pup.I was wondering if there was a way to get more bass response from the pickup (without going active).I know that there are alot of really good techs here, so can anyone help me, or is that about all I can hope for on this bass?As you can tell, I know very little about pickups and their function. Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hi, a tone control won't give you more bass.

Without getting too technical, in a passive circuit you generally can't add anything that isn't already there. A tone control takes away your high end. When the tone control is at max, and your sound the trebliest, the minimum amount of high end is being rolled off.

Changing the cap value on the tone control changes the way high end is rolled off. But it can't give you more low end than is already there, just less high end.
    If you want more bass, some things to look into: different strings,eq settings on your amp, playing position/technique, possible onboard preamp.

3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Thank you David.That makes sense.I guess I was trying to ask what value resistor would eliminate more highs.I don't know whether eliminating more highs would make the bass tone sound deeper, or if it would just sound muddier.I will check out SMASH's posts on bass pickup evaluations.He seems to evaluate more Jazz bass pickups that P-bass pickups though.Thanks again.

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Doesn't that Fender model come with the 1/4 pounder pickup? That pickup probably puts out more low end than any other P-bass pickup out there! Maybe you need to add a Dimarzio Model One near the neck, aka Billy Sheehan.