How can I get my 6 string to cut through?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 6-stringjazz, Jun 5, 2001.

1. 6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    I have a six string Modulus and I can't seem to get my high notes to cut through the mix, and my low tones sound extremely muddy. Are there any small tone tweaks I can do to make these notes stick out???
  2. hey what kind of amp, size, watts, speaker size?
    what kind of music?
    how many players in the band?
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Gard can probably address this better but I'll give it a shot;)

Generally speaking, a Modulus with roundwound strings through the average rig will not be muddy.
    The high strings can be a bit of a problem because they generally have a thinner sound. You have to decide "how" you want them to cut through; do you have any examples of someone whose tone might resemble what you're after?

Try this, if you haven't: Set everything flat on your rig and the bass (BTW what are you playing through?). Is it still muddy? Are the highs "wrong"?

Let us know and we'll proceed from there.
  4. What strings and gauges are you using. If your C string is .030 or less, I think you will have a problem. IMO, .032 is minimum, .035 is better. B strings have more definition when you biase your pickup blend knob towards one pickup, rather than having both pickups on full.Do you have a "smiley-face" setting on your EQ? Restoring some of the mids will bring back some definition, so will cutting the amount of bass boost you are using.
  5. 6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    I'm playing through a Gallien Kruger 700rb 2x10 combo. I am usually playing jazz, some acoustic rock stuff with friends. I almost always find myself in a quintet situation, some times jazz trios but not often. I have tried setting everything to zero on my amp then ajusting my tone from there but, it didn't really go many places. Thanks a lot for your help!
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've got a Modulus too, but I haven't experienced what you all.

Tell me a little more...what pickups, what woods, what strings, etc. It might help.
  7. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I, too, have a Modulus 6. Alder/Quilt Maple/Granadillo fretboard/Bart pickups and electronics. I have had no problems with cut in any of the situations I have had it in so far. On my jazz gig, I actually run it wil the treble rolled off, neck pickup almost soloed. Angus is the Modulus guy, and I just might be second in command. Please be more specific with your problem. Amp settings, controls on the bass, strings etc.
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

Yeah, the more we know about your entire setup and EQ, the more we can help.

G, that's pretty interesting that you use the neck pickup! I've never used anything but the bridge when not practicing...just don't like the neck pups tone.

But for jazz, I do the same, treble rolled off. Then again, my strings are like 3 months old, so I don't turn it all the way off.
  9. jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I would say that you should change the batteries on the bass, then set everything flat on the bass and amp, then make slight tweeks on the EQ on the bass, don't boost the bass, especially with a 2x10, you will only get the amp over exerting itself to produce the lows. If you need to turn the volume up. Having more mids should help you cut through.