How can i get rid of that smoke smell of my bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by him666, Oct 9, 2005.

1. I bought a used Ric 4001 '77. Its a great bass, but it smells like smoke. Have you guys got any advice to get rid of that smoke smell?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Start smoking.
  3. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Just air it out, leave the case open and let the bass sit out for a few days with some fresh air moving over it and it should help the smell.

You could also put one of those tree shaped car freshners on the neck when you play :D
  4. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    i put dryer sheets in my cases, so everytime i go to play, im greeted with that fresh outdoorsy scent.

bounce dryer sheets, available at your local grocery store.
  5. Absolutely. :) :)

That, my friend, is the smell of the living. ;)
  6. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Just leave it out in the open for a couple of days, and it'll be gone in no time. :)
  7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    pressure wash it, shampoo it, and then put some aftershave on it
  8. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    spill beer on it.... :smug:
  9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Buy your self a good guitar polish, preferably a liquid paste type. Give your bass a good cleaning and let it sit out for a day or two to air out. Don't skimp on the amount you use.

I personally, prefer for my 73 Rickenbacker to use Virtuoso products. They make a separate cleaner and polish. Their polish and cleaner are especially recommended for instruments made pre 1980. You can buy Virtuoso products online. Here's a link to their website. check them out.

Take the case and spray it inside with a antibacterial spray. In North America we have a product called "Lysol". Leave the case open as well. Do not spray a large amount of this stuff the first time. Spray a light coating and repeat a few times until the oder is gone.
  10. Spray the inside of it's bag/hsc with febreeze and let it sit until the smell is absorbed. Try that over, and over until it works.
  11. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Use guitar polish on the bass. If the back of the next is unfinished, use aome kind of aftershave. I use Lectric cleans and smells good too.
  12. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yep, you won't smell it anymore. Well, you'll smell it every once in a while, but it'll just make you smile.
  13. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    ...And need a cigarette. Death is always the best advice.
  14. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I bought a used Lakland 55-02 about 8 months ago that wreaked of bad cologne. That smell is just staring to fade and I've had the bass out on a stand for most of the time I've owned it-- I've also left the case open to air it out quite a bit. It's not nearly as bad as it was when I first got it, but still a bit of a stank (or maybe I'm just used to it?).

I like the dryer sheet idea... might have to give that one a shot.
  15. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Leave it in the sun light.
  16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Cheerful soul. That's what ordering a DP does for your outlook. :D
  17. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Clean the bass like all the other suggestions. If the inside of the case smells like smoke, everytime you store the bass in it, it'll pickup the smell up again, especially if the case gets hot. THROW THE CASE AWAY or sell it to a newbie.
  18. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Believe it or not, either cedar or pine needles will absorb the odor.
    Just cut some small boughs and put them in the case, close the lid and give it a few days. stuff a pillow case with the needles and put the whole thing in the case to keep things clean.

Once the case is deodorized, wrap a good sized hand full of the needles in a cloth and put it in the accesory pocket, put the guitar in the case and let nature take its course.
  19. seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    leaving it in a room with an open window will help, as long as it's not really cold out. My house has a breezeway between the house and garage, and i leave my smokey bass out there overnight, which usually takes care of the problem.
  20. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Get Ken Smith's GLAS polish.

That stuff works wonders.