Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I get 'synth-bass' sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matthias, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm playing bass for 14 years now, but never cared for any effects and so I'm not at all familiar with all those stomp boxes and their sounds. But now I wonder how to achieve this typical sound of programmed bass - it's not easy to describe, it has less attack but more bottom than a bass and often something like a flanger or chorus to it.
    I just want to know where I should start looking.
    octaver? flanger? both? anything else?
    How can I mask the attack and brightness of my Stingray5 without sounding too muddy? (plucking near the 12th fret or using effects?)

Matthias

[Edited by Matthias on 11-22-2000 at 05:12 AM]

2. Hey!

If you want a typical synthbass-sound, I would recomend Boss Synthbass-pedal (I don't remember the exact name). It has all the sounds you need to sound like the 80's programmed bass. It sounds very good and has a quick trigger. The EBS BassIQ-pedal sounds good too but that's more of a filter-wah sound.

Good luck!

3. If I want a synthsound I do like this:
    I run the bass into a splitpedal, like a Boss chorus, then take one of the signals and run clean to the amp. In the other path I put a Boss Hyper Fuzz followed by an EBS BassiQ envelpoefilter and maybe a Boss Flanger. But this setup is only possible if you have A: an amp with two separate inputs, or B: have a box that lets you blend your effects parallel with the signal.

The point is not to lose bottom when you use the distortion.

A synthbass signal is essentially distortion and envelope and sometimes a frequencysweeper lika e a flanger.
    For a really cool synth bass pedal check out the Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synthesizer, they have soundsamples on their page http://www.electro-harmonix.com It sounds great from what I have heard of it. Boss is cheaper and works good aswell I guess, never heard it though. But since I cant afford (or have the use)any of those pedals I create my own "synth bass setup" when I need that sound. Good Luck experimenting!

4. Unlike some people I like efx and use them as needed. I recently got one of the reissue EH Bass MicroSynth and am very happy with it. It is possible to get the sound you describe and to fine tune it and to also use other efx before and after it to enhance the sound. I recently did a trak for a CD and a techno sound was called for so I used a Qtron and the bass synth together and got the biggest lowest sound that had a small attack that swelled up into a big sound. The Boss SYB is cool and small but the knobs are tiny IMO it would be fine to get a sound and leave it alone but changing sounds gets to be a real pain and it is kind of expensive to be a one trick pony. I keep hearing rumors about a pedal coming from Akai that could be really cool have to wait and see.

5. Now there's a Micro Synth for sale here on the board. Go check.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for all your replies.
    I'll go shopping soon :cool:
    Matthias