How can I get this overdrive tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lunarpollen, Dec 9, 2007.

1. I tried posting this like a week ago in the "Recordings" forum but didn't get any useful insights or ideas from anyone... All I know is that is played with a pick and it is overdriven. I *think* it is a Jazz bass, but I am not sure. If anyone can tell me how to achieve this particular OD tone, I'd be very grateful! I have no idea if it's all from a pedal, or if it's a signature sound of a particular amp and bass that some TBers will be instantly familiar with....

The tune- "Some Fool's Mess" by Gallon Drunk

I think this link should still work (I made a soundclip from part of the tune and uploaded it):
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/16hplc

If that doesn't work, let me know, I can re-upload and get a fresh link.

2. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    I hear .. something like a P-Bass with Boss ODB-3

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Honestly, that sounds like something an amp + jazz bass could pull off when cranked. Very similar to Rush.

Hmm... I'm sure there are a few pedals out there that can pull off that style of overdrive. Stay tuned until an overdrive expert checks in. ;)

4. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    I second the fact that it sounds like a P-Bass, not sure what kind of OD. Maybe its just a tube amp cranked?

5. I have that cheap little Behringer OD pedal that's supposedly a clone of the Boss ODB-3 and I can't get anything approximating that tone... The pedal I have adds this horrible artificial-sounding high frequency fuzz to everything, even at lower settings. Maybe the Behringer pedal isn't really a clone of the Boss pedal?

I have a Markbass LMII so there's no way I could get that sound just from cranking the amp. Maybe some sort of pre-amp or overdrive pedal containing an actual tube in it?

6. sounds like someone overdriving a valve preamp of some description.

7. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    'could' be anything. it would be easy to get their sound with a fliptop, passive fender anything, and some eq and compression.

8. Hm so far it sounds like it might not be a particularly difficult tone to achieve, if one has a tube amp or preamp, neither of which I have...

Any recommendations for a tube preamp that would enable me to get that overdrive tone from a LMII? Of course I'd want to spend as little as possible...

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Try a warm tube-based overdrive pedal like the English Muff'n. I think that could work well for that sort of tone, from what I remember when I tried it out.

Or actually, now that I think about it... check out the DHA VT1:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355446

Either way, you'll want to emphasize the mids, roll back the treble, and if your bass is active, roll back the volume knob a bit for a "cooler" output, more akin to a passive bass. Let the pedal's gain do the work, not the gain of your bass.

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Call me crazy, but I don't here the overdrive. A lot of compression + mids with a pick and a Fender, I think. I guess you could do that if you overdrove the amp a little.

11. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    which ever over drive it is I would be really surprised if it was boss odb 3

cos that also just adds fizz in my experience

the modern pedal capable of that would be an ebs valve drive but they cost a fortune

but thats a nice tone for sure

could be a jazz or p to my ears

I hope some one chimes with the deffinitive answer and we all realise it was achieved with the most basic gear available :smug:;)