1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I get this sound (Overdriven sound)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Agito, May 12, 2010.

1. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Hey
    Recently I've listened to a lot of J-Rock and noticed they use a bit of overdrive and compression in some songs

Let's take this song for example

There is clearly some light overdrive on top of the bass, I would like to know how to get this smooth punchy sound with effects (Of course the bass is important as well, probably the pickup were humbuckers in this song, but still...)

I was thinking about the VT Bass or the Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe
    for this kinda sound

Plus, I'm looking for John Enwhistle's (RIP) lightly overdriven sound in some of The Who songs (My Generation, his bass solo at 5 15)
    I don't want distortion of any sort, just an awesome overdrive.

Thank you very much

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the tech 21 leeds will do what you're after for the entwhistle tone

3. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    If you want a nice overdrive, I'm always hearing rave reviews of the Way Huge Pork Loin and the Texh 21 XXL Bass Edition. I'm currently considering both

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The Xotic Base BB preamp does some great OD. I, like you, prefer a nice driven tone as opposed to flat out distortion or fuzz. I just got mine yesterday but it's great!

5. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Hmm another example of what I'm looking for:
    (2:44 bass part)

And I thought about one of the Tech 21's they offer me a lot (preamp and overdrive)
    Two questions are:
    Will they supply the sounds which I'm talking about?
    What's the difference between the VT Bass and the Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe?

6. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    For the record, that's more of J-Pop to me =P

Anyway, my band mainly does J-Rock covers. We messed around with that song a bit two rehearsals ago just for the fun of it, I just used the same signal chain as always; I get my drive from a Silver Dragon -> Distortron, and then through a Submarine.

From what I understand, a lot of Japanese bands usually like to get their sounds from overdriving the amps itself. While browsing through some issues of GIGS magazine, I noticed a very large number of JRock bassists use the VT bass, so I guess that's a pretty valid option too.

I've been getting all the drive sounds I need from running a Silver Dragon on very low gain into a Distortron on very low gain. With a bit of tweaking between songs, it seems to work ranging with songs of this sort, to more of the L'Arc, Dir En Grey and so on.

The Distortron by itself is actually enough, but it's a bit on the gritty side to me; the Silver Dragon is there to warm it up a bit more. If I needed to reduce weight, I'll drop that one.

Recently I just picked up a Blackstar HT-DIST to replace the Silver Dragon. It seems to be working better for me. Really heavy though. I'll get some soundclips this weekend.

One more thing, the Submarine at the end of my chain. I don't know how much this affects it. It does sound really nice, and I like it better with the sub than without. But I don't really know how exactly it affects it. It just sounds better with the Submarine than without. I've heard that it can add lows to balance the lows that disappear in distortion.

So I guess if you're not going for the VT Bass, I would recommend the Distortron. Mid-range price, small, versatile. Can't get much better than that.

7. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Thank you for the information
    For the record as well, it kinda runs between J-Pop and J-Rock, but it's awesome and that what's important

Anyhow, I don't want any distortion, just a cool overdrive, I'm thinking about either the VT Bass or the Tech 21 Bass driver
    I would like to know what's the difference between them

Thank you

8. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
  9. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    VT bass thru a P-bass with a pick

10. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Just to say to Broadbent, the bass there is not a P-Bass at all, sounds like some Jazz or a bass with Humbuckers... Anyhow
    I'll search for the comparison between the two and probably will get the VT Bass or the BDDI

Thanks

11. BobOnBass

BobOnBass

Dec 27, 2008
    Cugy (VD), Suisse
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    +1 on the BB. Like you said yourself it is about how all the stuff used (bass, pedal, (pre)amp) adds up but I think you'll have a good shot with the BB. Awesome pedal, lots of character and versatile!

12. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    yep, xotic BB is a killer pedal.. i never turn mine off (only when im asleep ;) )