How can i get this tone.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Squice, Jan 20, 2004.

1. How does the bassplayer who played "you oughta know" whith Alanis Morrisette on jagged little pill get this sound...?
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    if im not mistaken thats good ol' chris chaney. he plays with janes addiction now. as he said in a bass player interview he likes things simple. so usually he goes bass, chord, amp. as far as i know he uses fender p-basses, monster cables and aguilar amps. however, he has a slew of effects and things of that kind. but im guessing he keeps it simple.
  3. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, I remember it as Flea, probably a Musicman Stingray!!!
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Flea played on the original recorded track, Chris Chaney was her touring bassist. Chaney's a great player, for sure . . .

Not sure what bass Flea used on that recording, he now uses Modulus, but used to record with a Wal and an Alembic, although he used Stingrays live.
  5. Yeb.. this is very stingray sounding.. and was like my first thought.. but there is so much growl in there.. so i was thinking that it got to be something more to it...
  6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld is Flea. And a rather simple setup........fretless MM StingRay 4. That's where the "growl comes does the somewhat questionable intonation.

7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well i knew i had soemthign there. i forgot, now looking back at the albums credits it does say flea. thanks.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...aren't there 2 versions of this tune on Jagged Little Pill?
    IIRC, one was a 'hidden' track...
    One had a fretless intro & one didn't.
    One was definitely Flea & the other wasn't.

Or maybe I'm still in the Twilght Zone.
  9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

you are correct sir.... flea and dave navarro is a hidden track but i believe they helped write it