Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I hear what the bass is doing better?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yamarc, May 1, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anytime I listen to some records I find myself wanting to get rid of all else in order to better hear the bassline. Sometimes it is really obscured by other freq. and instruments. What do you guys do to help you hear what the bass is doing?

My computer/CD has a basic EQ and I I have tried eq'ing other freq out but somehow this only masks the bass attack and definition even more. Is there a way to make the bass really stand out, perhaps a computer program that separates freq and isolates the instruments I really want hear?

I know all records are mixed, but I thought maybe there is a way to "unmix" them...I don't really know a whole lot about the recording process so maybe this is just not feesible once the record has been mixed down.

It would be really neat to also take the bass out of the recording without eq the bass drum out also...Hmmmm...Hopefully there is a answer aside from gaining microscopic ears...Thanks, Marc

2. i suggest getting a pair of microscopic ears...

if that doesn't work then contact the artist and his/her producer and ask for a copy of the multi-tracks...then you could hear each track seperate.

and if THAT doesn't work then start paying closer and closer attention.
    with time, practice, and concentration you will have the ability to distinguish everything quite easily.
    on top of that you will have ears good enough to tell if it's a bad or good mix. that can really be frustrating!!!

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    headphones

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    headphones would probably the be the best idea. Additionally, if you have a subwoofer, disconnect the satellite speakers, so that the only thing that is coming through are the low frequencies, it probably won't help much with hearing notes, but it should help with the rhythms at least.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    sometimes it's easier to pick out the bass line by listening to a recording at a higher speed (maybe because a lot of the high frequencies dissapear into the ether). I used to always play albums on 45 rpm to pick out the bass lines.