Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I identify the type of wood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexssandro, Dec 1, 2000.

1. At the risk of asking a reduntant question or coming off as ignorant, I searched the archives, but I couldn't find a direct answer to my question.

My Sterling neck and fingerboard are a very light-colored wood and there is no gloss on it. Would I be correct to assume it is maple?

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Spectrum analysis is the key to determining any material composition. Astronomers use this technique to ascertain the composition of stars that are billions of miles away.

The light that comes off something as it rapidly oxidizes can be examined and then an accurate reading is possible.

However if you needed to a non-destructive method, guessing works. I would wager that yes it is maple.

jc

3. Thanks for the info. I guess my neck and fingerboard are made of the same wood.

Also, I remember doing an experiment in my astronomy lab in college that involved determining the composition of different gases. I remember that we had a substitute instructor come in that day to help us with that lab. I don't think our normal instructor was capable of doing simple algebra. :D

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Color, grain pattern, figuring, weight/density and tone are sufficient to identify the woods used. If you want a good wood identification primer, go to http://www.acaciainstruments.com and click on "The Woods".

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Without carbon dating...who knows?

6. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I gave up carbon dating as I always got burned! :)
    j

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know of any light-colored wood, other than maple, used for fingerboards. Maybe some boutique luthier in a loft studio makes bass necks/fingerboards with some other light wood.