1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I identify/verify a 63 Fender Jazz Bass as authentic and original?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bcolins, Mar 20, 2009.

1. bcolins

bcolins

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I may have an opportunity to look at a 63 Jazz Bass in the near future. Owner has pawned it...thinks its original,...but I dont think he really knows. How can I verify that it is the real thing and that it has not had parts replaced?

Brian in Austin

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
  3. There are lots of things to check including the serial number, neck date, clay dots, dates on the pots, reverse tuning machines, the bridge saddles should have multiple cuts in them that look something like machine screw threads and not just have a single groove for the strings, there should also be a strap button on the back of the head stock. There are probably other things as well; I'm no expert but I do have a '63 Precision so I'm going by that and I'd think a '63 Jazz wouldn't be too different.

4. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmm... don't know about dates on the pots... all I can see on mine is 'MK250K0A' then 87 offset below followed by 8N on the next ones.
    ?

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    This is an amazing book that will help you date your bass
    http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Bass-Illustrated-History/dp/0634026402

I call it my "Bible"

It identifies little things like changes in headstock decals through the years, fret markets, PU placement, but overall it's a really neat book to have anyways. Definitely worth the $16 or so if you plan on investing in a few thousand dollar bass

6. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I hate to say it, but if you are asking here you probably can't do it on your own. If you are thinking of investing in this era of instrument, pay someone to authenticate the guitar before you spend a dime.

Good Luck,

Rev. C

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    +1
    Pay a pro; there are some very good forgeries out for Strats and Teles; have to think that basses are getting valuable enough to conterfit as well.

8. low_E_string

low_E_string

Apr 17, 2008
    I forwarded the same type of question to Fender itself. Their response was; because Fender products are the most copied in the world, the best way to verify an actual Fender product was to send them the serial number and photos, if possible, to help verify the authenticity.