how can i learn how to do a Setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by A Rock, Jul 23, 2002.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    im sick of paying 80 bux each time i wanna have my bass setup at SamAsh!!! (w/ string replacement, truss rod adjustment, action adjustment, intonation, check controls, tightenin tuners and jack, and clean).

can anyone tell me what the best way i can learn to do all these things myself and do it just as good?

the only expense i really wanna worry about is buying strings.
  2. Ok search for threads in this forum via the "search function" up the top in the dark blue. There have been numerous threads like this.

So too, next time u do need a setup, go along and ask the luthier if he can show whats being done.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Find a piece of junk and tinker with it.
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yea... just mess w/ it yourself... don't force anything and don't mess with the trussrod too much and you should be fine.

String height is just a matter of personal preference

Intonation is done by using a tuner.. check the harmonic and the fretted note on the 12th fret.
    If the fretted note is sharp, make the string longer.

Trussrod adjustments are done by depressing the first and last frets and measuring the height at the 12th fret. Don't use metal feeler gauges as they could scratch the frets. The repair tech and Ernie Ball said that one thin plastic guitar pick is about the right action, once you're in the ballpark, its personal preference again.

Search the web for tips, but messing with it yourself is the best way to learn.
  5. Hit your local library. Mine gave me access to all the info I have ever needed and most of the good books come with pictures. With the exception of radical changes to the truss rod everything else on a bass is mostly a twist of a screw and its pretty hard to do any real damage.

If you have a "junk" bass around take it apart and mess with it.

Pretty soon you might find yourself routing new pickups and designing your own bodies.

Alot of the latest generation of builders started off just doing setups.
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Click HERE for the basics on string changing, truss rod adjustments, intonation, cleaning, etc.

I use it as a reference for my own setups. Just follow the directions and you're in like Flint!
  7. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i like this question tho.

in the website...what does it mean when they say..."chime" the string at the 12th fret?
  8. prpbably refering to the harmonics over the 12th fret. Or if you strum the strings over the 12th they sound more like a harp.
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Get yourself a copy of Dan Erlewine's Guitar repair guide Vol 2, Check out Borders books and grab one.
    It's been my set-up bible for a few years.