Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I lenghten the lifetime of my strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jarski, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Are there any good (or even bad) ways to make strings hold their sustain and clear sound longer? I have to change strings after about two-three weeks 'cause they lose their sound so quickly?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I "religiously" wipe my strings down thoroughly after playing. Sounds very basic, but it makes a lot of difference, especially playing outdoors in summer when my wrist sweatbands get soaked.

Here's a link to something you might try http://www.stringlife.com/

Elixir makes coated strings are supposed to have a coating that prolongs their life.

Then there's the "boil `em with alcohol" treatment ((just do a search here in the "Strings" section for "boiling").

I change my strings every 3-4 weeks anyway, so I don't know if the Stringlife, Elixirs, or "boiling" work that well.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The best method is limiting the amount of time you spend playing your bass.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    and no offense, but the "no bass playing" method isn't so fun..

similiar to rick, i wash my hands religiously before playing the bass. The less greasy they are to start with, the better.

5. rickbass

Yeah, false - those strings that never move off the rack at the music store last a helluva long time, don't they???

6. Put your base in a hard case after you play i don't know this from experience but lot's of people reccommended it and i cant spell recommended.

7. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    on that note.. i've had this idea for a while

You know what dessicant is? Its that stuff that they put in shoe boxes to make them smell nice... They absorb oxygen from the air i believe... maybe moisture?

Well my stingray 5 came to me with a good sized bag of that stuff, do you think that it would help in keeping my stings from being corroded? I'm sure that the origional bag has been exhausted, but what if i could get more, or "recharge" it somehow? Anybody know anything about this?

Just me thinking out loud.

8. rickbass

You're correct, False - Dessicants (a silicate) suck moisture and are used when packing new instruments.

Some uninformed acoustic guitarists leave the packs in there thinking they're good for the instrument all the time. Then the soundboard cracks because the air inside the case is too dry and they find out the hard way they should have put a humidifier in the case.

Once you receive an instrument, you usually trash them even though I've yet to receive a new instrument that says to dispose of them.

9. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    so while it might be good for the strings, it does more bad to the wood? even if its a solidbody guitar?

10. rickbass

Hell, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I had a Hofner violin-style bass (500/1?) way back when. It came packed full of those silicate envelopes. I lost all of them over time while I was living in St. Louis, MO, USA, (where the summer air is so hot and thick you can eat it with a spoon).

Nothing ever happened in the years I owned it. I think it was just good old German engineering - they don't take any chances.