How can I make a cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The_Bass, Sep 16, 2000.

1. I know that some of you guys have done this... but where do you buy stuff... the wiring isn´t probably that much of a problem and not to get wood but where do you guys (or girls) buy the speakers?

I would like to make a 2x10 or 4x10 or something just to try it but don´t know what or were to buy the speakers...
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

3. Well such a post couldn't have come at a better time. I was going to post something similar tonight but seeing as someone bought up the topic i'll give it a burl. :D

My band needs to build some PA speaker boxes real cheap. The obtaining of the parts and materials is easy. It was suggested maybe 4X10's would do it. The amp we have is supposedly a 400w with 4 speaker outs and two inputs. Any suggestions? Does anyone have any plans that would be easy for a novice like myself to follow and therefore to construct?

I am well versed in Electronics and woodworking, I just need something to follow. I was reading up on the net, but they seem so complicated eg, constructing horns etc.

PS sorry to steal your thunder The_Bass :D

4. You stole my thunder!!! I´ll never forgive you!!
    Now lean down and let me take of your head!! :eek:

yeah, it would be nice to get some instructions... please everybody help out me and merlin :)
  5. When I was still building cabs for a hobby, I bought the speaker at an electronics parts shop about 10 km away in the nearby city. They carried European brands of course, so I can't give you leads on a brand. I do know that ElectroVoice, JBL, Celestion and the like make extremely high quality stuff. If parts shops carry them I don't know.

Furthermore, there are plenty of net sources for speaker building (unfortunately few specifically for PA) with shareware cab simulation software. I used to design my cabs with Boxplot.

here's a lead that may get you started Many more URLs are on their links page.

6. but I was at a band rehearsal and realised that I have a combo (novanex) and my guitarist has an old Marshall bass combo... they are both 1x12" and the question is; would it be ok to take the speakers and make one cab out of it?

I know these are different products but do you guys think it might work??
  7. There are maybe 20,000 different speakers in the world that may all look the same, but the only thing they have in common is they look the same.

Different bass speakers are miles apart. You can't put them in one cab. If you must, then give them each an air volume of their own, that is: separate compartments for each speaker. In other words: make two cabs in one.

Sorry.... and yea, it's a bad idea.

8. Hey someone finally gave me a plan. Thanx to everyone who contributed. The Bass you can use it or at least its a starting point. I've drawn it up how do i put it on here as a picture?
    Cheers Merls

[Edited by merlin on 09-19-2000 at 05:43 AM]
  9. merl: if it´s a big plan then you may e-mail it to me if you want :)

I´d really appreciate(sp?) it...

but if it´s just a one pic then just pop it up here :)
  10. Merlin...
    If its not a problem for you lets put it down here for everyone to see and hava an idea.
    I need that kind of thing too...
  11. sure thing, how do I post the picture???? I tried HTML code but it went cooey after one day. phhfftt modern technoligy! :D

12. Adding Images

To add a graphic within your message, just encase the URL of the graphic image as shown in the following example (vB Code is in red).

In the example above, the vB Code automatically makes the graphic visible in your message. Note: the "http://" part of the URL is REQUIRED for the [img*] code.

that was taken from the vb code help... and you of course take the "*"´s away.

now you only need a server for your pic... many of people use .. I always use my band´s ftp server :)... but if it´s to much to do then u can always e-mail it to me and I´ll post it up.. :)
  13. Cheers. Its still in CAD format and needs some editing. when i save it in JPG i'll email it to u The Bass and could u post it??

Cheers :D

14. will do... :)

15. OKies I've come across an odd thought. Hey first time for everything! :D

What is the better wood to use? MDF (Medium Density Fibre Board) or Ply wood. I would be going for 5 Ply or 12 mm MDF.

What should I use??

Or is one of those things, "Whatever takes your preference"

16. 18 mm 7-ply wood is what I use. MDF is just too godforsaken heavy. 18 mm plywood is still lighter than 12mm MDF.

Using 12 mm could work, but only if you put 2" ribs on the inside every 10 inches or so. Still I recommend plywood.

My advice: don't economise on the wood. It won't help to save $20 on a $200 cab, only to have it walk down the stage when you play it, or burst when you accidentally unplug your bass with your amp cranked up.

17. ok... I´ve received the pic...

here it comes:

18. True, bear in mind that Bass won't be plugged into these. Just vocals and maybe a guitar in an emergency. And they won't be used for gigs. Or if so, the odd party to get some cash to build decent ones. A band on a budget is a tolerant band as we put up with all the borrowed Crap from everyone else! lolololol

19. Is that an ok cab. bear in mind I did it early in the morning so the Horn is nice and phat so if you find one that size, Tell me! :D

Oh BTW, did anyone notice how I was running TB? lolol. Oh and Napster was running, my bro downloads Metallica still!!!!! Cheers man, :rolleyes:

So comments on it people! be critical.... I won't be disappointed, as its not my idea! I just drew it up. lolololool

20. OKies I figured that this thread sorta died in the arse so I'm trying out my new Signature. Enjoy..