Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how can i make it growl?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Apr 10, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    what's up everyone,

I was just wonderring if there was a pedal or setup that i can use to give me an agressive growly sound. what kind of pedals do u recommend for this :bassist: rock on

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, so I'm going to assume you mean overdrive (grit) rather than distortion.

There's a bunch of pedals for bass that do this, everyone likes different ones but most popular ones seem to be:

fulltone bassdrive
    ebs multidrive
    dod 250

One man's warwick is another man's rogue, so I can't say what you'll like best (my favorite is the fulltone).

If you look at the top of this forum, you'll see a multi page thread with a lot of reviews of various od/dist/fuzz pedals. Take a look and come back if you have questions about specific models.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think growl comes more from the bass and strings than from effects. Do a search in bass and strings formums (in that order).

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Most of the basses that "growl" have a fairly hot bridge pickup-- i.e. Fender Jazz, Warwick Thumb, MM Stingray. A good start is play with a hard attack and with your plucking hand close to the bridge. Brighter strings help too.

5. Yeah the lurker is correct, a hotter bridge pickup and bright strings will give you growl. I am using a Fender jazz, fitted with DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams and when I play soft it purrs, when I slap or pluck violently it snarls at my face. My P on the other hand, same strings, amp and effects, has a far more rounded sound. It also has to do with where the pickup/plucking position is. Pluck harder near the bridge and it should growl a bit more as it is under more tension there than at the middle/neck pickup. What bass do you use?

Man I have pore sphelung.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I spose you could make a P growl, though.... well, Rocco Prestia does, anyhow. Bright strings, hard attack, and a *mild* overdrive, not DOug Pinnick stuff.

7. EQ: Lows at 5 to 7
    Mids at 6 to 9
    Highs from 5 to 7
    (out of 10)

Strings: .105,.85,.65,.45 i like D'Addarios usually fresh strings make more growl.

Bass: ?? With a P have the tone knob 7/10 treble position, too much treble may make it twangy
    Playing mid position is fine with fingers, just thump

Pedal: A good overdrive/distortion. I use a Digitech Bass Driver, awesome, but other overdrives will work fine. If your gain on your amp is cool, crank that up!

Hope this helps!

8. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Fulltone fatboost will do the job for sure. I've got one. It can add plenty of growl. It also really works great to add a more tube charactered sound to my solid state amps.