How can I make it seem louder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Here's the deal. I might be getting a gig with my tutors band and he uses a marshall half stack, and I only have an ashdown MAG 250 with a 1x15. Are there any tricks I can do to make it seem louder without having to get a new amp?

I already have a real growl that would cut through his sound, but get it cranked and I'm not too sure. I have played with a JCM half stack before, but it is a different player and he may want to turn up louder to get his sound.

Any ideas?

Many many thanks
  2. I would start by cutting the bass on the EQ A little at a time. This will allow you to turn your amp up without clipping as fast. You may need to go to an extreme and turn up your mids to cut through better. Just listen to your tone in context with the band and don't try to force your amp to do something it can't.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I hope you have a good PA...
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    MusikMan is on it, roll some bass off, it will free up some watts and cone for more volume. It may not hurt to talk to the band and let them know that your amp may fall short a bit, and that you are saving for something with more sack, even guitar players can be understanding sometimes. On a side note: What I do when other band members get to loud? I used to turn up, that is a mistake. I learned to start playing more softly, I don't give looks or do anything different, I keep on smiling and grooving while gradually bringing my volume down by playing lightly, in no time everyone is straining to hear me and has no choice but to reduce volume. A couple guys are finally on to me, but at least they know where I stand.
  5. The gig is at the barfly in london, and has a great PA (as I'm told) but when I did my last gig behind a valve half stack it was about 400 people in the room, so it may or may not work out. I'm only thinking this in terms of stage volume.
  6. If it's only for stage volume then for sure roll off some of those low frequencies so that you're amp won't clip and you can turn up the volume a little more. Also, either try and put something underneath your cab to tilt it up on an angle to your ears, or put it on a stack of milk crates to get the whole thing up to your ear level.
  7. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Yes, roll off some bass on amp and crank it up.
    But I would not elevate the amp. Just the oposite, make sure it is coupling with floor and even beter placed next to the wall and even better in the corner of the room. This way you get extra bass frequencies for free..
    While rolling-off lows on amp will allow the amp to play louder in mids and highs, the room acoustic will then bring the lows back to the game.. :bassist: Good luck.

Edit: For the same reason make the guitarist elevate his amp from floor or angle it.. tell him this is the Les Paul rule.... :D
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How about an extension cab?
  9. Mids are excellent at making you louder. They are essential to hearing yourself live, and since your cab may not be able to handle higher volumes without cutting the bass, the mids must take the lows' place.
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are really worried, rent a rig for the gig. It costs about the same to rent for a week rather than a day. Rent the rig for a week, get used to it. Try to use it at a practice.
  11. Taking nothing away from the guys telling you how to get the most out of your rig, I like the rent an amp solution. I also like the extention cab solution. Can you borrow or rent an extention cab? My Mag 200 1x15 combo only produces full power with an extention cab and you will move more air. Perhaps your teacher knows someone with a larger rig that you can borrow? I live in a very small rural community and several of us swap cabs and amps for gigs.
  12. Thanks guys, I'll have to look into that.
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think my bass rig is very similar to yours and it's been fine at some fairly large events - it can certainly get louder than I want to hear!

One alternative solution is earplugs. I've done quite a few gigs wearing them and although they cut down the overall volume they actually help to hear what's going on by protecting your ears from being physically assaulted by overpowering sound levels.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

excellent advice. I do this at practice a lot. The point gets across pretty quick. :cool:
  15. How did you know it was a les paul that he plays?
  16. I think I will have to be with lowphatbass and ivanmike on this. Play a little softer, and tell them I may be straining my amp to keep up.

On the other hand, I could just say I have tinutus (sp?) :D
  17. That's a method I once tried a while back but all I got out of it was a drummer and a lead singer griping about how i need to turn up and they need more bass.