1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I make my 210 cab with tweeter into a 3-way full-range cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 5, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'd like to add a 3" or 4" mid-range speaker to my current 210 cab but don't know how to do it. Any ideas? I know I need a crossover - what kind should I use and is this something I could build myself?

The cab in question is part of a Carvin BR510 combo. It has two neo 10's and a titanium HF driver tweeter. It's a tilt-back design.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

2. It is already a "full range" cab. If you have a lack of mids, explore your EQ a little more?

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    For a different tonality on the top end, you could look into replacing the tweeter with one of these 4" Faitals. They'll run plenty high the tweeter wouldn't be needed, but the topend probably sound smoother.

It would require building in a pretty small little subchamber behind it, so it's in it's own tiny box within the big box.

4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Adding a midrange to an existing two-way system would be a roll of the dice unless you're somewhat experienced as a speaker designer. You can of course use an off-the-shelf three-way crossover and you will end up with a three way system, but personally I'd choose a factory-designed two-way over a roll-of-the-dice three-way.

If your heart is set on having a three-way bass cab, imo best to sell what you have before you modify it and degrade its value, and use the proceeds to get what you want.

5. This is some damn good advice, Duke knows his stuff.

the speakers in your combo are designed to work together, if you don't like how they work it's best to just get rid of that and look for something that does work in a way that you like. I've been thinking of designing a 110/6, 210/6, and 15/6 using some cheaper ceramic drivers to make something similar to a fEARful on a budget, but that's a LONG way down the road, I still haven't figured out exactly which drivers to use, particularly the mids, the woofers are relatively easy to figure out, it's hard to pair a midrange to go with it, and crossovers are also difficult to figure out precisely, not to mention tuning, bracing, internal dimensions. I'm reading some hi-fi design books just to get me in the right direction. I'm mostly just bringing this up as a bit of an ad, but also just to say that if designing this stuff from the ground up is difficult, it'd be even harder to figure out for a pre-made box like that, where the options are even slimmer. You'd need to design a good crossover and find a good mid driver, keeping in mind that the volume displaced by the mid-chamber impacts the tuning of the cabinet, and therefore the tuning of the drivers, etc...