Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how can i make my 32nd notes more consistant?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by melvin, Jul 17, 2001.

1. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    today while i was trying to play that little bass interlude thinging (i dont know what to call it) in 311's you wouldnt believe i noticed my 32nd notes werent very consistant in the note values or at times seemed to lag a lot. so does anyone have suggestions on how to play them better, especially when theres two of em and there on different strings?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    an age old mantra: slow them down.

3. Pacman's right on the money. If you're trying to play something fast and it sounds sloppy or inconsistent, slow it down. You HAVE to be able to play it slow before you can play it fast. Gradually increase the tempo til your up to speed. :)

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Something I shoul've added before:

When I took lessons a few years ago, part of my teacher's lesson plan was styles (JT knows what I'm talking about here). The very first lesson was 8th note rock and I kind of laughed at it. My teacher suggested that unless I was sure I could make every 8th note exactly the same length, volume, attack and release the same as all the others, I shouldn't laugh. So I went home and tried it. It was much harder than I thought and I worked on it. With a metronome, and very slowly. It was quite a wake up call to me. Now I've been told by engineers that I've got the "best 16th notes in town".

But you've got to start slow. Pay attention to each note individually. Are they the same? Are they the same length? (note length is the secret weapon of the groove)

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    thanks, i shouldve thought of slowing them down. would anyone happen to know how to count 32nd notes? (that helped me learn 16th notes on trumpet really good)

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would count them like 16ths - 1 e and a , etc. - and just speed up the count. what album is that 311 song you're talking about? i'd like to hear it.

7. um, i don't recall hearing any 32nd notes in that song... i'll listen again when i get home, i guess.

8. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    its on from caos

the 32nd notes are in that little bass thing around 1:50 and they lead into the long note that that ends the first line of the riff and ends the rest of it.

9. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Metronome. Metronome. Metronome.

They're incredibly useful. I had a similiar dilemma when I was trying to play some very fast Metallica stuff. It may take a while, but gradually increase the bpm every three days, and sooner or later you'll have it.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Absolutely golden.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    In any event...

KUNGFUQUA'D!

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My only comment I have to add, because HOW to play them has been covered well, is that that song has NO 32nds. None whatsoever. Grace/ghost notes, but absolutely 32nds. Maybe if you cut the tempo in half...