1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I make my bass sound better?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gordslinger, Mar 9, 2008.

1. I agree. You should not be changing out any parts on this thing except for the strings and electronics to get it into playable condition. Because this bass body is acrylic, I would be very cautious about replacing or even removing anything you don't absolutely have to remove.

Keep in mind that lighter gauge flatwound strings will give you very similar tones to the fatter Jamerson or Harris sets with lower tension on the neck and improved playability on the fingers. Even on a perfectly set up instrument fat flats require more finger strength than lighter ones.

Another string option might be the GHS 3025 Precision Light set. I just put a set of those on a 51 P-bass reissue with very good results. On this Japanese Fender they play very easily yet sound old-school thumpy like the fatter flats. At $24 per set from online dealers, the GHS Precisions cost a lot less than any of the other strings mentioned previously in this thread. The 3025 light set turned out to be pretty good flats for this p-bass. So if you are looking for an old school sound, which is what you get with the Jamerson or Harris sets, I could recommend the GHS Precision light set as something approximating the tone you'd get with those pricer and heavier gauge sets but with lower tension and improved ease of play. Another big plus is that around here the GHS are way easier to find when the Harris set is a special order and nobody carries Labella bass strings around here these days.

2. I'm not very good so i didnt want to embarrass myself :bag::meh:

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego