1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how can i make the pickups on full?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by messiest, May 4, 2006.

1. messiest

messiest

May 17, 2005
    i had posted before:
    the question is about my pus's hum.
    i replaced my fedner jazz set to lindy fralin set.
    but the problem is coming out,
    when the pan pot in the middle is noiseless, very clear.
    btw when i pan to neck either bridge,
    the hum is appear,
    just like a boiling water sound!!
    i try to ground the pus,
    but no change.
    and some pals said my pus aren't on full,
    how can i make the pickups on full?
    thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, I've went over this with you twice before. let's try again

original thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246414

With pan pot in middle, both pickups are on full. Then they are hum cancelling. With pan pot anywhere else but middle, both pickups are NOT on full and you WILL get hum with single coil pickups. The hum can be minimized with shielding, but not eliminated.

I'm not sure I can state this any simpler. Let me know what you don't understand.

3. yess jazz basses do that the only way you can get rid of that sound is by changing your pick-ups (single coils) to j-bass humcanceling pick-ups. there is no way in the world you are getting rid of the hum by doing anything else you can try and try, all single coil do this and they will doi it forever.

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    David-LMAO!! I just imagined that being said in Brian Griffins voice.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not meaning to sound curmudgeonly, just a bit frustrated since I and others have answered this question a number of times already in this and previous thread.

6. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I didn't mean to imply that you were being unreasonable, I just meant that I could sense your frustration, and then I saw your avatar....and well, I'm a big "Family Guy" fan.

I used to work in a fairly high pressure environment where a fair amount of technical knowledge needed to be on the tip of your brain (so to speak), and I used to tell new hires that I'd fully answer any question for 2 weeks. After that, my response to any previously asked question was, "What was the answer the last time you asked?".

7. messiest

messiest

May 17, 2005
    THANKS ALL PALS 4 HELP!