1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I match this cab with another one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andres3195, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hey guys, I'm planning to buy a Gallien Krueger Cx 210 cab (pic below), the 8 ohm version so that in the future I can add another Cx 210 cab to it. The thing is I see in the pics of the back of this cab that it only has one Input to connect the bass amp to the cab, but it doesn't have another one to match this cab to another one. The bass head I own is a GK MB200, it only has one output for cabs too.
    Am I missing something here? I'd say there must be a way to match my MB200 to two of this cabs, but I can't imagine how. Sorry for my inexperience, this will be my first time buying a cab instead of combos.

CX210-large.
    DSC_0166_014__88627.1436299474.1280.1280.

2. LeftyD

LeftyD

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    A speakon splitter box.
    On Amazon for $30.
    Allows you to plug from the amp head into the box on one side, the other side of the box has 2 speakon outlets for the speaker cabs.
    Never mind the correct answer is in the next post.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. If you look at the words "Full Range" on the back of the cab you will see a line going to the left for the Speakon connector and if you follow that line to the right that is a phone jack like your bass uses, use that.
    It looks weird in the picture because they have a plug in it.

Even though the cable for your bass and a speaker cable with the same phone plug on it looks the same, they are very different on the inside, always use a proper speaker cable to hook up a speaker. It will say it on the outside of the cable.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The 1/4" jack has a plastic plug in it: take it out. The Speakon and 1/4" jack are common: use one as the input from the amp into one CX210, and the other to connect to the second cab. Get a pair of Speakon to 1/4" cables.
    upload_2017-12-14_14-43-14.
    MB200 Speakon --> CX210-A 1/4", CX210-A Speakon --> CX210-B 1/4"

5. I would get one of each cable, speakon to speakon and speakon to 1/4''. That way you only need to remove one plug and don't have a whistling leak when using one cab only.

wave rider likes this.
  6. Thank you all for your help :)
    Now, just for curiosity... why would they cover the 1/4'' jack like that for the pics? Is there any reason to do that?

7. They come with the plug. It prevents air from coming out of the jack which can make a whistling noise at volume if the jack is not sealed.

wave rider likes this.
  8. Oh... I would have never thought that was the reason to seal the jack. Interesting, thanks again!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    And you can electrocute yourself if a stray finger or other bodily appendage gets in.

andres3195 likes this.
  10. Too much of that Brown Ale perhaps? LOL :D

I liked that stuff myself. :)

11. That sounds like a Final Destination type of death lol

12. Personally I would go with the SpeakOn splitter box as it is in every way superior to using a 1/4” Phone plug. It’s way too easy to short circuit the amplifier output causing damage.