how can i play with my preamp through my pc?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jul 27, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hey i havean svp pro and i would like to play through my pc but i dont know how to do it.
    I pluged my preamp to the line in connector and it didnt sound so i opened the windws sound recorder but the sound was super distorted....
    what am i missing here?
  2. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

First you need the right software, windows doesn't have it loaded by default so pick something else.
    Creative SoundBlaster has a package
    Audacity might be helpful.
    then make sure your sound card is ok, the default sound cards are mostly OK if you are not looking for studio quality sound
    make sure you keep the system gain on your preamp down because the sound card has limited head room.
    be aware of the onboard limiters in the soundcard - on or off they will effect the recorded sound
    use good to real good monitor speakers, like hook your PC soundcard line out to the aux in of your hi fi.
    keep the gain down, your bass packs a punch that will toast your computer and your hifi if you get nuts with the gain.
    Turn down or off the hifi when recording, use headphones for recording and the speakers for playback.
    It will take a whole buncha tries to get it right but when you do it will be fine...I spent the whole weekend on setting up my recording system
    Your computer will record EVERY little noise out of your bass, string noise, fret noise, flouresent lights etc...make sure you use good cables and play precisely.
    Have fun....