How can I reduce finger noise?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CJK84, Jul 31, 2004.

1. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I've recently added more highs to the tone of my Cirrus 4 - on-board and at amp. I like the tighter sound, but the finger noise has increased quite a bit, even when I'm properly muting the strings.

I realize most of this extraneous sound will be inaudible on a gig, but it's distracting when practicing alone in a low-noise environment.

Years ago, I saw a guitarist apply a spray to the strings of his electric to reduce such noise caused by finger movement.

Any suggestions on such a product?
  2. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    It's not a spray, but GHS fast fret is supposed to reduce finger noise. I don't like the feel of the strings with the stuff on.

You might want to consider switching to nickel strings, such as TI's Jazz Rounds. I found those work very, very well on my Smith.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's a matter of training. I used to practice with the highs fully boosted on my bass, until I was able to play pretty much without finger noise @ that setting.
  4. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    While you can get better at reducing string noise with practice, it is my experience that it won't completely go away. Your experience may be different, but it seems that most bassists will produce some degree of noise with the treble turned up.

Another string brand said to reduce finger noise is Elixir. I haven't tried it.

5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The spray stuff is called fingerease. It smells really good. It smells like what the color purple would smell like if it had an odor.

And I don't mean that fake grape.