1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How can I tell my drummer to quiet down?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, May 12, 2006.

1. Lately, I've been getting really bad wrist pains playing upright bass. I had no clue where its coming from until I put 2 & 2 together. I only get these wrist pains when I play with this particular drummer. Not only that, when I play with him, I have to turn up my amp WAY louder than I have to with anyone else.

How can I tell him, politely, to bring it down a few notches?? Its a hard situation because he's been a musician for quite a bit longer than me (and is a great musician). But, I just cannot play with how loud he is and risk damaging my wrist and I dont think I should need more than an Aguilar 12 and a GK700RB for a small jazz group. I'm not the only one that has noticed the volume issue either.

Any help?? I most certainly dont want to offend him, but no one else has said anything which is really odd. I know its selfish reasons, but I feel I need to step up and say something because I can't keep digging in as much as I do to get some volume and end up screwing up my wrist more.

2. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Dude, he should not be offended, just explain to him youre getting pains in the wrist, and ask if you guys can play a bit quieter? I would certainly not be offended.

3. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Bring in a drum machine.

Just tell him. It's just part of being a musician sometimes you need to play loud and other times softer. If he gets offended he's not as pro as you think. If that doesn't work, don't kill yourself play your normal volume and let someone else point out they can't hear you for the volume of the drums. He should get the point.

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Three words:

Honest

Respectful

Direct

If those don't work maybe you should re-evaluate playing with him.

5. +1

Just be polite about it, and honest. Shouldn't be a problem.

6. Jackkoon

Jackkoon Banned

Feb 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    Idk if it's a combo or an ensemble but if he's used to ensemble playing and you're a combo then yeah, he's going to play loud. Basically I'm saying if he puts up a fight then tell him that. There's no such thing as "The drummer only has one volume." If you're playing jazz he should be out of that rock phase and be able to begin to comprehend that being able that musicality isn't only limited to those that play notes. Dynamics are a BIG thing in my opinion and from what I notice it's the last thing people REALLY catch onto when playing because it requires the most focus and control. I'm a student studying music at a community college and I just recently finished my 2nd year and I'm just saying that from what I've seen dynamics is that last bit people use to really express themselves.

As far as I can go back with drummers... some of 'em don't feel like they're a part of the band in that way a guitar or a bass is, they have this view that they're from two different worlds and they're clashing. He needs to be playing with you and not against you, if there is no polite way to go about it then just say it, get it out there.

If all else fails, just set up a mic on the opposite side of the room and hang it down then record, maybe then it'll make sense to one of you or the other because maybe you're playing just loud enough y'know. Where you position yourself is another key feature to all this but if he's really that loud, record it.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Just tell him. Being open is the best way to be, especially if it is causing you pain.

8. Nooco

Nooco

May 4, 2006
    Finland
    Well just tell him that he is playing too loud. Same was with my "band" I had a year ago. When me and others were tuning our instruments, he started to play as loud as he could and said "I am just tuning drums". And at song, he played so damn loud me and my mates had to go turn the amps all time louder. So we told him that he plays very loud, and asked him if he could play it little quieter... that really is best. And also tell him that you get pain because you need to play so loud.

9. <insert punchline> Put music in front of him.

:)

Everyone here is on the right track, so I won't repeat it.

10. I just tell my drummer to turn down. Works every time.

11. hehe...

one word and three letters

Ampeg SVT

12. Get him some hotrods. :)

Either that, or play really quietly... he'll just have to play quieter in order to hear you, and it makes it obvious to himself how loud he is playing.

13. bust his sticks. not as much leverage. it will be alot quieter.:D

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Oh come on! A drummer listening? As in, to the rest of the group and not just himself? HAAAaaaaahahahahahahaha!

Now seriously, what can he do here?

Okay, maybe I have a bad attitude here. But the only way we got to be able to rehearse at a reasonable level where no one needs earplugs, was for the drummer to get an electronic set. That option doesn't hold for everyone, but it worked well for us.

The really surreal part is that now I occasionally have to ask my drummer to play LOUDER.

15. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Buy some plexiglass and put it around his kit before he gets there:bag: !

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    1. Hide all sticks and replace with rods.
    2. Hit him over the head right before playing.
    3. Secretly tape up all his heads and cymbals.
    4. Hit him again.

Seriously, everyone else gave you good advice.

17. Hit him, really hard :p

18. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    SHOUT

19. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    Cry.

That'll get that damn drummer to submit.

20. Unless the drummer is hitting your wrist his volume shouldn't make your wrist hurt. I know your playing harder to make up for the volume problem. You have an amp. Turn it up, then work on getting the drummer to back off. No point playing in pain when you don't have to.