Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how can i tell what the body is made out of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Apr 6, 2003.

1. how can i tell what the body is made out of?thinking of buying a '93 MIJ jazz bass. worried it might be basswood and not stand up to my gigging abuse. anyway to tell if it is alder/poplar/basswood/agathus or whatever? anyone know for sure what they used in this era?
    thanks

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What do you do? I wouldn't think basswood would hold up any worse than other woods. I'd be more concerned with the tone.

MIJs are usually ash or alder, if it helps you any.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, if it floats then it must be made of witches.

or very small rocks.

4. LOL. Sorry, but I had too-- "Burn Her!!"

jtbp

5. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    Chop it in half, or take a bite out of it.

If you cut it in half, you can count the rings and see how old it is, too.

:p :bassist:

6. you guys are being hilariously uninformative!

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I always find a place inside the bass, chop a chunk out of it.....then I pop that chunk into a pipe and smoke it.....I can always tell what the wood is by what I hallucinate after, for example, if the body is basswood, I see lots of flying black tuna, and if I see purple cats with wheels, I know its wenge.

it works every time!

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    (with a stern expression on my face)

Most of the solid color MIJ basses from the 1990's had basswood bidies. The fretless Jazz basses all had basswood bodies. If it is a MIJITSO '62, it is most likely alder. If it is a '75 RI it is ash.

Chuck

9. how do i know if it is mijitso or whatever?
    i am going to look at it tonight.:D

10. If you get the serisla number of the bass, and go to the fender.com website, theres a link to their 'setup' pages (i forgot what its called!) and then go to the FAQ, there is a list of dates matching up the serial numbers. g'luck. :)

'member to post pics!

:D