Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can i travel with my bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzpink, Nov 17, 2004.

1. jazzpink

jazzpink

Nov 15, 2004
    How can i board a plane with a bass if i don't have a hardcase, and have a gigbag?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If it's small enough to fit in the overhead compartment, you can try carrying it on. You can also ask to have it put in the coat closet (some gig bags have hanger hooks for this purpose) where garment bags get stashed.

However, it's always a crap shoot whether you will be told you can NOT carry it on, then you're screwed because checking a bass in a gig bag is asking for it to arrive in little pieces.

Calling ahead and asking what the policy is doesn't seem to matter, I've heard many tales of people being told over the phone it would be OK and then told the opposite at the gate.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, the official stance of the airlines is that you should check the instrument in an ATA case. Many people do travel with their instrument and carry them on, but there is no guarantee that you can. You can get all the way to the gate and they can choose to turn you away.

4. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I just flew Delta and for the first time was presented a document that demanded uniform compliance with airline regulation carry on, it specifically prohibited instrument carry on. They did let me gate check. I don't know what we're going to have to do.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Funny story: Back in '99 I was coming home after a west coast tour with Ozomatli, I was flying from LA to Atlanta. I was getting on the plane, when one of the ticket agents stopped me and said, "Sir, I'm sorry, but you'll have to put that guitar :scowl: in the cargo area." My response? "Ain't gonna happen!" Just then, the co pilot walked up and said, "Hi. Whoa, is that a Lakland?" I said, "Yeah, but she's trying to make me put it with the luggage." He laughed and said, "Nah, we could put it in the coat area in first class. That bass in that gig bag would make it past the load off. I play bass myself, but I'm more of a Ken Smith guy." :cool: My lead singer looked at me and said, "You damn bass players are everywhere!"

6. jazzpink

jazzpink

Nov 15, 2004
    :D nice story

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    A definite story with a happy ending.

I understand the need for security in flying and that there is limited space on the airplane, but it seems to me that musicians fly a huge amount and I really doubt that the airlines would become overburdened if they let people put their guitars/basses in the coat closet. Maybe I don't have a full understanding of the situation, but why can't the airlines make allowances for valuable items such as instruments?