Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I turn my keyboard amp into a bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Sep 27, 2005.

1. I have this old peavey kb300 15" speaker. Wanted to know if there is a way I can use this speaker to be used for bass purposes like plugging my bass amp into the keyboard speaker to go along with my avatar 210.

2. If both have a send/return function..

Put the send function of your bassamp in the return function of the keyboardamp. With that you go like this:

bass - bassamp preamp - keyboard amp poweramp
    and the second chain will be:
    bass - bassamp (that's: bass amp preamp - bass amp poweramp)* - 210

Note that a head or combo exists of a pre amp (mostly getting the tone you want + powering the signal up a bit for the poweramp) and a power amp (powering the signal up for the speakers)

Is that clear? :smug:

3. I have the same peavey amp which I use for this. Only downside is that the amp is a bit heavy, but its nice for basement only use. I keep it on top of my 410.

4. ^^ You do it on my way? Or do you have another option?

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want to use both the power amp section and the speaker of the keyboard amp or power the speaker in the KB amp with your existing bass head?

6. No I just want to use the 15" speaker of the keyboard amp in combination with my avatar 2x10. All the power will come from my Behringer amp head.

7. personally I'd leave the amp as it is, IMHO the Peavey amp would be better than the Behringer. There isn't much difference (functionally) between a keyboard amp and a bass amp, since keys are capable of low frequencies just like a bass.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Agreed!

9. So I could use the peavey to power up my avatar 2x10?

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yes provided that the Peavey has a speaker output and the ohms of the cab are at least as high as the number stated on the speaker out. ie, if you have a 8 ohm cab and the speaker out says 8 ohms OR 4 ohms minimum, you are ok. If the speaker out on the amp says 8 ohms minmum and you have a 4 ohm cab, you are S.O.L....

11. I wouldn't say that.. There are usable tones in a Behringer head, I think there are more tones in there then a Peavey amp.

Which tone do you want, threadstarter, the tone of the behringer or the peavey? Come back at us if you know which one :ninja:

12. I want behringer tone. I use that shape button alot.

13. Let me make sure I have this. I have two 1/4 jacks on the behringer to run two 8ohm cabs.

I plug my Behringer into my 2x10 by way of the first 1/4 jack like normal right?
    Then plug my behringer into the back of the kb300 or into the actual kb300 amp on the front by way of the second 1/4 jack? I dont want to blow anything up here that is why im clarifying

14. Lame Thrower

Lame Thrower Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah you don't want to plug a speaker output into an instrument input if that's what you're saying. Something will get fried for sure. If your Behringer has a "line out," you could run that to the Peavey's input.

Can you post pictures of the front and back panels of both your amps? It would be a lot easier that way.