how can ilearn to play with out looking at my bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by amy_bass_inger, Jan 19, 2004.

1. hey there. i have only been playing a few months but how can i learn to play my bass without looking at it. when i try my fingers go to the wrong fret and i get that buzzing sound which i now count as an alarm telling me im doing summut wrong. please help! :bawl:
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    keep practicing.

the longer and more you play the easier it will become. your musicles will begin to memorize where the frets are.

you can also shut all the lights and just keep on goin till you get it right.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Practice in front of a mirror...
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The first two words from Joe pretty much nailed it.

Based on this here:
    It sounds to me like your brain is already figuring it out wether you realize it or not.
  5. AS one year beginner too, this what I feel about your problem.

For the first day, I learn bass reading F key whith partitions from my teacher Bruno Chaza.
    (Nice to know on )

I got so much work looking the page, I could'nt do anything else, as looking a mirror or drinking some beer for example

So I play sitting down, for the wild look on stage
    I'll wait further.

Best regards
    Sylvain ( nanookanono )
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Looking at the neck is ONLY a problem if you need to sight read music...can't look at the music and neck both!

Other than that, if you can play your ass off who cares if you look at the neck :p
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Having to look at the neck also prevents you from having any eye contact with the rest of the band or the audience.

Actually, the best solution is probably to work on reading music (even if it's only to the level of jamming through chord charts... although going beyond that would be advisable). That way you learn to play without having to watch what you're doing and you develop another useful skill to boot.

8. bassplayer7

Jan 17, 2004
    try playing nothing but scales in different positions for about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour a day. This will 'train' your hand to go just where you want it to go, and there's the added plus of memorizing the note locations on your fingerboard.:bassist:

just my opinion, it worked for me!:D
  9. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    Get your metronome out. Set it for much slower than you would normally play. Then play one scale or arpeggio over and over. Play it perfectly, no buzz, perfect time, perfect tone. When you start to feel it's too easy to go on playing, then sneak your eyes away. How did you do? Gradually, you'll start making fewer errors when you look away. Then come back in a few years and tell us how you're doing.
  10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Close your eyes. Seriously. That's the fastest way to learn to feel your way around the fingerboard and neck.

It's especially helpful with a fretless.

When you're first starting, it helps to divide your time equally between playing alone, and playing along with the radio (or your favorite CD, or whatever).
  11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ill second that. I cant tell weather or not there was sarcasm in that post or not, but it really helps :p