1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how can improve my playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by irishmonster100, Jan 27, 2012.

1. i would greatly appreciate if anyone who reads this would check out my youtube channel my username on youtube is irishmonster100 any feedback regarding my playing and how to improve would be greatly appreciated
    also i am applying for bimm si any tips for the auditions in regard to thank is also greatly appreciated
    Regards Dave

...few naggins be grand... :D

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    A link would be more helpful.

But seriously? Practice.

3. If you want to improve your playing, there are few things I would suggest. First, branch out and explore some other styles of music. I don't necessarily like some styles of music to listen to on a regular basis but occasionally I'm asked on a gig to play them and do it convincingly. Latin music, disco, funk, punk, jazz, r&b, and even classical music can be played on the bass. (just to name a few off the top of my head)

Second, just play a lot. My chops were lacking until I started gigging regularly. After a couple of months of doing gigs four nights a week, I could play along to weather report's teen town, whereas before then, I could play it, but not up to tempo. The funny thing was that my gigs were mainly alternative and classic rock covers. Not to much that was overly challenging or strenuous on my hands.

Finally, there are plenty of exercises and etudes out there designed to build chops etc. one of my favorites I got from the jaco pastorius video, modern electric bass. I think he called it the major scale exercise in stretch position in 16ths. Anyway, I found that playing any exercise in 16th with a metronome did a couple of things. It taught me how to subdivide a beat. At slow tempos it really improved my groove and timing and at faster tempos it improved my chops. The key thing being that music exists in time, and those bass players that have a solid foundation in it, get more work in my experience. You don't have to be victor Wooten, you just have to groove hard.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

J

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    practice EVERY day!!!

your welcome! :)

5. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    This.