1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can it be?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by decuchi2334, Feb 28, 2008.

1. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    I just stripped a squire affinity pbass body I got for about $20. Turns out that underneath the thick layer of poly I come across a nice 3 piece alder body. How is that squier's cheapest basses have alder bodies?

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    you sure it's alder, and not some asian wood? Those are made in indonesia... not sure Alder is indigenous over there.

3. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    Looks like alder,(sniff) smells like alder. Lol! No according to the specs, the affinity series basses are alder. It does look like alder to me tho. Makes me want to pick up a five string jazz.

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Then I say, go for it!

5. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    Yes sir! Trying to pick out a color to finish it in now. Hmmm... maybe orange.

6. Well like the SX basses - ALL ALDER!!!! possibly same source???????

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Alder is relatively inexpensive and available and it has a grain and surface that makes it ideal for getting a smooth paint finish without using a filler like you would for ash for example. The grain is usually not too exciting but you can get it to look good with a clear finish. Dye stains work better on alder because they don't obscure the grain like pigment stains.