Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can this bass be in tune?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    [​IMG]

How can the bass be in tune with the bridge being at such an angle. The bass doesn't have fanned frets, so I don't see how it could be in tune between strings.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It seems to me that the bass could still be in tune as easily as any other bass. To the best of my knowledge, having a bridge set up like that will only mean that each string's tension will be somewhat different than the tension on each string would be if the bridge were flat. If I'm wrong about that, someone please let me know... it'll be a pleasant learning experience. :)

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It seems though, that since the strings each have slightly different scales that the frets would not be in the exact correct space that is needed to have precise intonation.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I think that can be compensated for by adjusting the bridge position for each string. It does seem like it would lead to some odd tension differences from string to string, but I still think that this bass can be tuned as easily as any other with proper intonation.

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thank you.

6. Willett

Willett

Dec 30, 2003
    is that bass really necessary.
    i mean six string i can understand.
    that just seems like a waste of time and money.

7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Comments like that aren't really nessessary, and there is a few threads for that sort of blashpemic talk.

8. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If it was a waste of money, then the owner wouldn't have paid for it. Their money, they choose what is a waste.