1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
     
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how can u tell if a ric is fake?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmastan, Jan 1, 2012.


  1. bassmastan

    bassmastan Guest

    Jun 25, 2011
    How can you tell because I don't want to be ripped off for such a high price
     
  2. Post photos of it. Alternatively, ask the seller to pretty please not sell you a fake Ric.
     
  3. bassmastan

    bassmastan Guest

    Jun 25, 2011
    Can you find it through the ric company?
     
  4. Become familiar with the real deal. Look at pix here and on ebay...detailed pix. Know that most (but not all) 4001's & 4003's are stereo, with 2 output jacks. Pickups & controls, fretboard material, etc. Ric's are unique in many ways and for those familiar with them, it's not hard, in 95% of cases, to spot fakes. And on the the other 5%, make sure you get a money back guarantee, on whatever you purchase, so that you can take the bass to an expert for verification, if necessary.

    And...take pix before buying, and post them here. Many here can advise you about spotting a fake.
     
  5. If the bridge is pulling up its real. :) LOL
     
  6. Ric5

    Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

    Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I can spot a fake from a photo.
     
  7. Ric5

    Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

    Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Ya that's one way ... except it is the tailpiece that pulls up.
     
  8. iabssplyr

    iabssplyr

    Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    I was a gonna say if sounds like a P bass! Post pics and let the experts take a peek.
     
  9. Hi.

    The same way You can spot any other instrument being a fake, by knowing the facts and/or running the serial number and/or the pic through the manufacturer.


    A few sure ways IME to tell an instrument is a fake though:

    An unknown seller is willing to cut YOU a deal.

    "It's a special edition or a prototype, hence the differences."

    It's clearly put together from no-so-good parts.

    The seller is in a hurry, because .....

    The best way to avoid getting ripped off is to have enough time to do Your homework.


    Ric's are easier than, for example Fenders, though IME. There's a lot of documentation and as the company is forced to protect their trademarks, they are a reliable source to ask help from.

    There's also a very few copies that I know of that have all the easy-to-spot details right, mainly the body construction, the scale and two truss rods.

    Obviously there's been several genuine Ric models over the years that don't follow the general rules, but since the production numbers of those instruments are really low compared with the "regular ones", there's a slim chance You'd get across one.



    :D

    Regards
    Sam
     
  10. pflash4001

    pflash4001

    Dec 2, 2011
    Rics really aren't seen around too often, not like Fenders or some others, anyway. I don't live in a huge town, and I only know one other guy here with a Ric. Try to find an authorized dealer near you and stop in to check out the instruments and ask questions.
     
  11. Mystic Michael

    Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

    Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For once, I can finally ask: "Why isn't this thread in the 'Basses' forum?" :confused:

    MM
     

Share This Page