Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how can you describe the dano sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 31, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm really interested in the cheap Danelectro basses. i know their specs but i have never had the chance to try one. i listened to the sound samples on their website only. so i'd like to know something more about their sound. i'm interested in the hodad and in the longhorn model expecially. how these basses compare to a fander P, a fender J and to a rickenbacker?
    thanks

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    They sound very little like Fenders or Ricks. The Longhorn Pro, Longhorn and DC bass are the ones I own. I would characterize their sounds as warm and sorta "spongy," if you know what I mean. The bodies are masonite so they don't have a real solid, deep tone. However, the lipstick p/u's give them a strong fundemental tone and they have nice detail. I find they sit well in a mix for blues or roots rock. Slapping is not their strong suit, however, and they are a bit delicate. These basses are a tremendous values considering the cheap prices. Everyone should own a few!

3. I have the Danelectro Rumor bass and I really think it`s a fun lil budget bass.To me the Rumor sounded better than both the Longhorn and the DC-3.Looks wise the LH and DC are nicer than the Rumor but I had to go with my ears.

Put flats on the Rumor and talk about a cool old school thumpy sound.:D

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    crappy.

5. Now do you mean that in the traditional sense or more of a neo-post-modern-nu-metal-elitest sense?
    Just curious.:confused: :p

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    do you think "crappy" is really going to help this person out? why dont you give the guy a reason why you think they sound "crappy", that might be a little more useful.

7. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    expecially. how these basses compare to a fander P, a fender J and to a rickenbacker?

To me, there is no comparison..

Must I expose' my view?

8. I compared the Dano Longhorn and Rumor vs. Fender J's and P's (MIA, MIM, MIJ) and some Modulus Q5's and flea basses. I found the longhorn the most viable of the Dano's. I know it's short scale...but the rumor (built in chorus!) just didn't say "Play me". But I feel that way about P's. I don't like the pickup position. But the overall hardware didn't feel as good as the Longhorn. As a matter of fact, now I'll prolly go try out a LH again.

Of course it didn't even come close the the moduluses (Damn, I wish I could justify over $1000 for a bass....but I can't). But tone wise, the the dano's did great against the american fenders. Hardware wise, they did great against the MIM's. But I still feel a used MIJ fender is an awesome deal.

Okay, in short, a dano's worth it. As long as you pay $150-$200. Great beater bass that you'll feel cool playing out with. Definetly not crappy. I've had my mitts around a lot of Super $$$ basses, and a lot of low $$ basses. And I'm still very attracted to low priced stuff that kicks. I've even heard some Dano guitars and basses live, and guess what. They had no problem being heard, or cutting through. Which is the most important thing. I've heard Gibson LP's and Warwicks that couldn't be heard live. So there ya go.

9. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    The classic description of the sound of Danos is "Tic-Tac" which started in nashville where six string Dano basses were used to double acoustic bass parts. I imagine it was played with a pick hence the tone and the term.

I have 2 Dano DCs, one for flats and one for rounds, both of which that I play with fingers and pick.

I'd describe the tone with rounds as an airy tone with solid lows, scooped mids and a healthy dose of "sprong".

With flats it sounds more thuddy but still mid-scooped.

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don't agree with the definition of Dano's having a scooped sound. My DC has a very woody tone, that lives mostly in the mids, and not really anywhere else. If you just use the neck pickup, you'll get buried, since it is kind of scooped, in a vintage style, but if you add the bridge pickup, you'll get lots of mids. It cuts through alright, IME much better than the MIM Fenders I have gigged and rehearsed with. My DC is very nice for woody fingerstyle tones, with some mwah, if so wanted, and I can get a pretty good acoustic tone from it aswell, with some thump. What it can't do, on the other hand is slapping. You'll have to tweak your EQ on your amp seriously, to get a good slap tone. If you want to listen to my bass in a band setting, click the link in my signature, and click on the link called "Demo", and listen to songs 2 & 5, and laugh at my playing.

11. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    Last time I was at DanElectro's website, they had soundclips of all their basses. Check it out....

12. The only way for me to describe the sound of a Danelectro Longhorn or Hodad would be for you to call me, then have me place the reciever against my rear after eating a plate of Mexi-nuggets.

Rock on
    Eric

13. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Correct, I forgot to add that I only use the neck pickup....sorry. It still sounds scooped to me.

I've recently added a Longhorn to the Dano stable, it's a blast and sounds very nice with my blues/roots projects.