How can you get rid of a bass? I can't.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I just bought my third bass guitar- a fretted Roscoe SKB-3006. The other basses are fretted 4s: Ibanez Lawsuit Fender Jazz copy from pre 1975 and mid 80's Guild Pilot.

I've thought about selling one of the other basses, but I just don't want to. I've read many a thread that seems to have players buying and selling basses like they are buying clothes because their old clothes have gone out of style.

I just can't do it. I may not use my old basses much (I'll have to wait and see), but I can't see myself ever letting one go. How do you let go?:confused:
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Wait until you've got over 25 and you've owned just about everything out there, at one time or another. The answer will become obvious! ;)
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    1) Financial Problems
    2) Wasn't the bass they thought it was
    3) Found a better bass
    4) Found a Better Deal

Those 4 are the main, at least those were my main 4. I've owned 11-12 basses in the 3 short years i've been playing. This includes basses like, Fender, Moses, Zons, Modulus, Warwicks, Deans etc..

I'm sure most of the people sold basses because of the main 4
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sheer necessity usually - I usually can't afford the bass I want, without trading my existing one in, to make up the shortfall!! :(

If I had unlimited finances than I would never let a bass go - but that is very unlikely to ever be the case!

The way I resolve this anyway, is to make absolutely sure that the bass I am buying is better than the previous one in every way I am interested in - better tone, better playability etc.

I do this, by trying as many basses as I can extensively before hand in shops and then going away and thinking about it and then trying the one I decide on again to make sure!

Besides - you can only play one bass at a time, my view is that usually I only want to be playing the best bass, with the best tone - so why own a bass that I won't play?

There - easy! ;)
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  6. So you've got 3 basses. I'd say that you must like them all too much to sell them. Only sell the ones you don't like anymore. Right now I'm down to 4 basses and I really don't want to sell any of them.
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh! I hit saturation at 23, working my way back down now. Still don't see ending up with single digits though. That would take some effort!
  8. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY

Yea those are definitely the top reasons for selling. I've sold a bass or two due to reasons 1 and 3.
  9. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Every year, my skool has a talent show, I find this a near perfect time to put on a good show and smash up my bass.

The music sucks so I figure why not smash the ****** bass and at least excite the crowd a lil right. U should try it sometime.
  10. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Well, if youre lookig for a good excuse. Just say "I ave gingivitus" This always works for me.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't like to keep too many basses around. If I get beyond a certain number then some begin to collect dust, and that bothers me because I'm a player, not a collector.

Right now that certain number is 5, and I currently own 6 with another on the way (I think), so I will have to figure out which two to unload.

Actually I own 8: the extra two are MusicMan four-strings which I no longer play, but don't have the heart to sell because they served me well for so long. And also neither is currently in production (Cutlass and Sabre). But I'm just being sentimental, not a collector... honest! Both basses are modded so vintage value is minimal. And I've lent the Cutlass to a guitarist friend for use in his home studio, so technically it isn't collecting dust.

But I understand that good basses aren't easy to sell, especially if you like 'em a lot. F'r instance: there's no real reason I should own two Fender RB5's, but the blue one is my all-purpose beater and the gold one looks so cool.
  12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

What you have aren't exactly collectible or have alot of value. If they aren't being used, just sell them. I was up to 16 basses a couple years ago and it started to get stupid. I figured out what what ones were important to me. Gig basses, collectible, etc. I sold all the others and I'm down to 7. Still stupid!! Best of luck

13. To those who have more than three-five basses:

I'm struggling to get the one I want - and that's at $850 American!!!!! :spit: :p

14. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    There are a lot of factors that can go into this. You may have a good paying job with only a small number of expenses. That could certainly allow for lots of play cash. Others might do things like buy less expensive cars to allow that cash to go into other things. Others might work an extra job part time to get gear cash. Others might use their tax returns for gear.

Basically, there are loads of ways to afford all this stuff. It all depends on priorities. Me? I've got a set amount I can put aside per month for whatever I want. Most of that is going towards a couple of basses and some new amplification for them.
  15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I guess if you have too many it is easier to part with what you need to. I have thought that if I do, I may part with my Guild Pilot Bass. I'll never part with my Ibanez Lawsuit bass. It was my first bass and has way too much sentimental value for me.

I don't dare tell my wife yet, but my next purchase will be either a fretless 5 or an NS Design 5. But that's not for another 2-3 years. I'll change my mind about that a dozen times before I'm ready. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my new bass.

Thanks for your replies.

16. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    The question should be, "How do you KEEP a bass?" :D
  17. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    JR, you may have to convert to the 'don't buy it till you play it' camp- you seem to be having a heck of a time lately! Hope it gets resolved.

Conversely, at least you're getting some variety!
  18. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have never parted with any of my basses.

I not one to settle for one "TONE". I have several well made basses and few decent basses and one real POS which I will make into a decent bass. Anyway I love different tones. I love to be able to pick up a different bass and be influenced by the tone of that paticular bass.
  19. Unless you desperately need the money, why not keep them?

Just put them in their cases and stash them under a bed or in a closet. They're not going to take up that much room. That Ibanez is vintage and a small part of bass history! Let 'em hang around; you could give them to your kids if you ever have any.

Many members have posted about basses that they once owned, sold for a song and are now filled with regret.

I miss my: Gibson G-3, Ovation Magnum and especially my B.C. Rich Eagle. :bawl:

I think since you've posed this question you really don't want to put your *children* up for adoption.

Seriously, having only one bass can get monotonous and boring.

Whatever you decide, good luck.