Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can you guys afford such expensive basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samie, May 7, 2001.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Really. What is the secret?

2. eBay.

I got my dead mint RF5 for cheap on eBay.

If you buy carefully, and don't pay more than the average selling price of a particular bass, you can always resell it on eBay and get something else.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good education + keeping up with technology = good contract jobs.

i get up to $60/hr, sometimes more, from my contract jobs when i work.

4. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Lay-away...hehehe

5. Two jobs:

1.Oracle Database Administrator/Sun Solaris Admin
    2. IT consulting for previous employer

Don't make the mistake of thinking you'll get rich playing music.
    It's possible but not likely.

--Charlie

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm just smarter than the rest of you;)

7. Just dont spend so much money on blow!!! hehe
    To me bass is everything!! Ive got a great girl who Im gonna marry, a car that runs, and a steady income. I have nice gear cause I dont have a problem spending money on the things I need. Not to mention a severe case of G. A. S.

ZONS RULE!!!!
    (Brad knows what Im sayin)~~!!!

8. Working for 20 years. You tend to save a bit...

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    1 overtime
    2 wife works
    3 I buy what I 'need'
    4 wait for a good price

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    As Chris said, patience is a big part of it. I've had more cool stuff come to me by waiting, for much less than it would have cost to go searching for it and buying it.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    :D

12. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    We b makin de big bucks.

13. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    My kids grew up and left home.

It's just like winning the Lottery! :p

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For me, there's no secret. I work very hard at climbing the corporate ladder. I aspire to be middle management...they're the ones who usually get less than wonderful packages for being forced out the door in a reorg when it's too late to find another job...

I waited for over a decade to move on from my old Peavey T-40! I went to school, got a job after I graduated, spent money on rent, pay myself towards my retirement (which can't come soon enough;)) take my fiance out to a decent restaurant every once in a while, go to baseball games, go skiing, etc...it's really all in how you save your money and how you allocate it to the things you want out of life!

And, this is an important lesson in life: If you want it badly enough, you'll find a way to get it! Don't confuse this with drooling enough over the things you think you'd like...that WON'T get you those rewards! It takes work.;)

15. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I did not buy my first legitimate piece of gear til I had graduated from college and was employed. Be patient and stay humble. Maybe the cost of your gear should track with your musicial level. I am a new player. I paid $600 for my used RIC 4003 earlier this year and just paid $305 for a used USA Fender P and feel kind of sheepish having two awesome guitars.

16. 1. Staying single!
    2. Much overtime, which is now a thing of the past. But I was able to buy the great gear I have now when it was offered!!!

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My gear isn't really expensive, but I've got a good job. Interestingly enough, my gigs have more than paid for my gear.

18. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Don't feel bad, I can't afford anything expensive. I have a cheapo Ibanez, but I work with it. I haven't decided on what I want when I grow up, so I'm not really rushing out to buy anything right now anyway. I guess I could sell some amps and 8x10's to get a new bass...

19. LYING!

Nothing beats telling filthy dog lies. Most of us don't own half the gear we say we do; this is
    juat a different way of telling fish stories.

Think hard; how many of us have been over another member's house?

Just kidding guys,
    Mike J.

20. then whos that crazy guy with the mullet and all those huge ass monster basses?!?!?!?!