1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can you tell if you can save a neck or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbassist4, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Found a beautiful all white Peavey Dyna Bass at a local pawnshop. Was thinking about putting it on layaway, but then I got a good look at the neck from over the counter. Action was crazy high and the neck well bent forward with waaaay too much relief. It could have been that way for a very long time.

Assuming the truss rod still works, is there a way to tell if I can slowly coax it back, or would this just be a case of finding a new neck?

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

without a budget, color and/or pix it's tough to give accute info.

I've never found a usa peavey (bass or guitar) that I couldn't coax back into pristine playing condition.

That being said (mated with you asking) .. I'd suggest that this one may be a pass as you may have some learning to do before risking this...

I've had people mail me basses that they've snapped the truss rod --- from good intentions and wrong technique.

Tim

3. Hi.

No way to tell without trying.

When ever I buy something that has something or the other in questionable condition, I deduct (or haggle) the price of a replacement from the average price of said item.

Not speaking about TR's or even instruments in general, but IME, about 8 times of 10, if something looks/feels broken beyond a feasible repair, it is.

Another vote for a pass on this one unless the price is really cheap.

Regards
    Sam