Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Can You Tell If Your Input Jack Is Stereo Or Mono?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassGod, Dec 28, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I took my bass in today to have a scratchy input jack replaced. He said the worst thing that could happen would be he'd have to replace the jack. Now, I know active pickups need a stereo input, so how can you tell (by looking at it) if a jack is mono or stereo?

I just don't want him to replace it with a mono jack, not realizing that my bass is active. But then, most repairmen should know this kinda stuff, right?

Sorry, I'm paranoid. I get real antsy when my bass is in someone elses hands.

Graeme

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    3 terminals is Stereo Hot/Ground/Battery
    2 terminals is Mono Hot/Ground

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    So he pretty much can't screw it up then?

4. Stereo jacks have 3 lugs for wire connections, mono have 2.

I wouldn't sweat it unless your repair guy is a complete moron.

I'd recommend you take a crack at that type of repair yourself. Very simply to do. It'd cost you like a $1.50 for the jack and take maybe 15 minutes. Then, you don't have to let someone else muck with it!

5. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Yes (of course you have to know how to solder). Also btw it has nothing to do with active/passive...

6. It does indeed, it's common to use a stereo jack as a switch on active basses to switch of the pre-amp when no jack is in.... :cool:

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    and they're also used sometimes with recessed mounting for a cleaner profile.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I hate to be a stickler here, but the jack on your bass is an output jack, not an input jack. I know even Stewart McDonald, who should know better, call them that, but it is still wrong.

The signal is moving from the pickups, out the jack to the amp, not the other way around.

Just one of my pet peeves. :) Sorry, I'm just an old electronics tech.....

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

But, it's a 1/4" input jack because it's a female for the insertion of a 1/4" cable. The jack doesn't care whether the signal is coming, or going. It's about what kind of connection takes place.

10. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Nope. Take a look at an effects pedal. You have an input jack and an output jack. They are generally identical, both female. "Input", as an electronics term, refers to the direction the signal is going. It has nothing to do with whether it is female or male.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What are? Barrel type input jacks? I think they come in mono too.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, by this logic, should we see electronics stores selling identical jacks (input and output) as separate items simply because of how they are going to be used?

13. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I suppose if one wanted to get technical, the signal is a closed loop or electrons would not flow. Therefore any electron flow moving one direction in one wire will be moving the other direction in the other. Soooo, One could call it what they want but yes, the bass is a source.
    [Quote:]
    Originally Posted by eots
    and they're also used sometimes with recessed mounting for a cleaner profile.

What are? Barrel type input jacks? I think they come in mono too.[/quote]

Now you've got me thinking, but I don't think I've seen a 'barrel' type mono 'in/out' jack.

14. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Actually, when sold as a part they are just jacks. 1/4 female jacks. No need to specify input or output.