how can you tell if your TRUSS ROD is broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, Dec 6, 2003.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    Hey all. I have a Fender American Standard Precision; when I first bought the bass, I used to mess with the neck and bridge height BEFORE I knew about proper truss rod adjustment. I'm pretty sure I used to turn the allen wrench a little bit more than a quarter turn AND I used to do this with the strings still on and in standard tuning!! I was new to the instrument and I was hungry to find action that felt comfortable to me. This went on for a few months.
    Eventually, I got my bass set up by a professional tech and that's what I've been doing for the last few years. When I started reading these forums and hearing all of these horror stories about people carelessly messing up their truss rods, I started to worry! Is it possible that I damaged my truss rod when I first bought the bass? What are some of the signs of a damaged truss rod?? Thanks all!

xo tom

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    "Eventually, I got my bass set up by a professional tech and that's what I've been doing for the last few years"

If you had a truss rod problem, I'm sure your tech would have told you. How you can tell?
    Look down your neck from the head stock. Turn truss rod 1/4 of a turn and see if you have any change in your neck relief. BTW I adjust with the strings on and have no problems with my truss rod.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.