Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how can you tell if your TRUSS ROD is broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, Dec 6, 2003.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    Hey all. I have a Fender American Standard Precision; when I first bought the bass, I used to mess with the neck and bridge height BEFORE I knew about proper truss rod adjustment. I'm pretty sure I used to turn the allen wrench a little bit more than a quarter turn AND I used to do this with the strings still on and in standard tuning!! I was new to the instrument and I was hungry to find action that felt comfortable to me. This went on for a few months.
    Eventually, I got my bass set up by a professional tech and that's what I've been doing for the last few years. When I started reading these forums and hearing all of these horror stories about people carelessly messing up their truss rods, I started to worry! Is it possible that I damaged my truss rod when I first bought the bass? What are some of the signs of a damaged truss rod?? Thanks all!

xo tom

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    "Eventually, I got my bass set up by a professional tech and that's what I've been doing for the last few years"

If you had a truss rod problem, I'm sure your tech would have told you. How you can tell?
    Look down your neck from the head stock. Turn truss rod 1/4 of a turn and see if you have any change in your neck relief. BTW I adjust with the strings on and have no problems with my truss rod.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.