Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How close can a 55-01 get to a J or MM tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ny_chan, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Ordered a 55-01 NTMB sight unseen. Just curious about the tone...

2. Bump, because I'm curious about these Lakland basses.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Personally, I don't think you're going to get a J or MM sound out of the 55-01. I owned one briefly and just decided I liked the sound and feel of Fenders.

4. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
  5. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    I have a 55-02, and it works just like you want, the front pickup is very fender tone, the back very mm. You are getting the 55-01, which has two jazz style bartolini actives. Mine has the humbucker in back.

6. Where can I get samples of other basses made by Lakland?

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The 55-01 has soapbar style humbucker pickups.
    [​IMG]
    The 55-02 has a Jazz style and a MM style pickup.
    [​IMG]

8. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I have a 55-01 with the maple fretboard. In comparison to my P/J Japanese Fender, the fender is a little more twangy. Side by side the sound of the fender is more 'cheap'. It just sounds like the Lakland has more soul. The only sound I prefer my Fender for is for slapping. Although other people like the Lakland's slap sound I'm not a big fan of it and I find the Fender has much more presence in slapping.

With the dual Bartolini's and the 3 way EQ you can come close to a Fender sound but I still think that the Lakland is made too well and just sounds more refined than the Fender.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Fenders are what they are! Most modern basses are pretty much made to create a moderm sound. I wouldn't say that the Fender sounds cheap! There's been more music created and recorded with Fenders than any other manufacturer! I owned and tried many upscale basses and while I do like a lot of them, I always come back to my Fenders. If someone wants the sound of a Fender, just buy a Fender!

10. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Hey DW, is that MM jazz treating you well?

I own both, as do others here. I have to say, after using Fender basses for most of my bass playing life, I have really come to like the Lakland. I think it has to do with the 35' scale, but it has a very smooth/rich tone, very articulate, each note very distinct. Someone said 'modern' and that is a good description. I still play my p-bass the most around the house, though. Something about the neck and string spacing that is ultra comfortable in my hands. For me, the p is the best for slapping, comfort and soundwise.

The Laklands seem to be quite popular, and with good reason, so if you find it's not your sound, you should be able to sell it quickly.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Absolutely! It's been my main workhorse of late. I played mainly 5 strings since 1991 but I just love the sound and feel of Fender Jazzes! Gonna get a Jazz 5'r hopefully in 2006. Gonna dump everything else non Fender! Glad you're digging the Lakland!

12. Close but no cigar. You will be able to get close but you aren't going to be able to nail it. The electronics are different, 'nuff said.