How close can a Bronco sound to a Musicmaster?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThePerfectBeard, Jul 10, 2017.

1. ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Dec 15, 2015
    I've been looking to grab a Bronco for like $80 and modding it, but I wanted to know how close it can get to an actual Musicmaster? Here's some tones for reference:

(2:30)

...And, what would I have to do to get it there?

2. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
  3. ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Dec 15, 2015
    That is a beautiful looking bass! Something I noticed was that you put a string through bridge on it. I thought Musicmasters were top loaders. Either way, do you think it sounds like a Musicmaster now? Seems to have cost quite a bit lol

4. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    Just turn the tone down to zero and put some old flats on it - that should do the trick.

ThePerfectBeard likes this.
  5. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    IMG_6185.JPG IMG_6194.JPG IMG_6208.JPG IMG_6210.JPG IMO the most likely way to make it sound like a Mm is to put a .022 and .05 capacitor on the tone pot.

I just picked one up yesterday, here's a diagram I drew. AFAICT, this is a stock '78 and I'm the 3rd owner.

In the diagram I am missing the black lead from the volume to tone pot, and the ground from the volume pot to the bridge.

sears and ThePerfectBeard like this.
  6. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Don't know if it actually sounds like a MM because I've never done a side by side, but I've gotten lots of compliments on it. And yes it wasn't cheap, I have a tendency to go over board with mods.

Fender MM's are top loaded but Squiers are string thru. This is actually a MM bridge.

ThePerfectBeard likes this.
  7. ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Dec 15, 2015
    I might just search for the actual MusicMaster tone pots. I know nothing about adding capacitors to pots lol. Thanks for the info though.

8. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Somewhere on this forum is a chart that shows frequency curve when turning the tone knob for different capacitor values.

It turns out with the tone rolled off, or close, there's actually a low-mid bump that changes based on capacitor. I'll
    post that if I can find it again.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021