Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How close can an SVT-CL get to a B15 sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Waabs, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I'm considering getting a B15 but the SVT-CL or AV just seems to make more sense value for money wise. How close can a current day SVT get to the the tone of a B15?

2. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Potentially, very close depending on your speaker cabinet as the speakers and cabinet are about 50% of a rigs tone.

3. asmith

asmith

Nov 19, 2004
    Seattle
    Main Sale is right on about the cabs - when I plugged my amp into one 4x10 I thought the amp was broken it sounded so bad. Then I put it into another 4x10 (same brand) but with different specs/configuration and I bought it that day. If you have any chance to try out a bunch of stuff with both heads you can probably tell what would be closest.

4. Waabs

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I'm thinking about using that with an SVT410HLF. Anyone with experience of this combination?

5. Waabs

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    bump

6. I've owned the CL and also have spent time with the 15 but not enough to make that kind of comparison. I kinda feel like that a CL hooked to a 15E cab (which I had also) can be "in the ballpark".

More importantly I would think is the power difference. IMO (and generally speaking), most amps sound better turned up. So if the B15's power is all you need/want then I'd go that route. If you really need more oomph (and do not want to own both) get the SVT.

7. Waabs

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Thanks for that. Appreciated!