How close can I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, May 27, 2001.

1. I like the punch and crispness of the 410 cabs, problem is I've not been playing long and thought bigger was better, so I bought a combo with a 15. I have a MIM Fender 5 string, an Ampeg B3158 and a zoom708 processor, how close to a punchy 410 sound can I get, and how would you guys suggest I do it?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The best way to do it: First you go out and buy a 410 cab. Next, you unplug the 15 from your amp. Then, plug in the 410. You're there!

Seriously, the reason that there's always a big debate over which sounds better between 410 and 115 cabs is that they sound different. The 115, while you may be able to EQ it (boost the highs and high mids) to sound a little like a 410, will never be an acceptable substitute if you really like the sound of tens. Regardless, the punch of the tens just won't be there. Best solution: buy a 210 with horn to put on top of your 115. Best of both worlds. I recently did this, and have transcended to hog heaven.
  3. FWIW, try EQ'ing (that is, if you have a graphic EQ) the 160 Hz and 600 Hz range. This is where I believe the punch is. I play on two 12s and with those frequency ranges boosted its sounds pretty punchy to me.
  4. Yep, Joris is absolutely right.... I think it is the classic "frown" EQ setting isn't it???
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It isn't as much EQ (although that helps) as it is physical science. 10s are smaller. Punch comes from the snapping through of the cone. You also get more punch with a ton of headroom in the power amp. Most rigs with that punchy tone you are gonig for are running as high as 1000W power amps.

6. The B3158 has a fantasic EQ!

- but it's biamped. That may be a problem when hooking 1 single 4 x 10 onto it, unless you want to retain the 8" driver in the combo.

Nevertheless you will never have the 4 x 10's blow full-range with that combo.