1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How close is an ibanez sr900 to a spector euro 4 lx?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smitcat, Feb 28, 2005.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    My latest G.A.S. issue is a spector euro 4 lx. I currently own an ibanez sr900, which i like a lot, but i was thinking about picking up a spector as well. I was curious as (in researching the spector, i noticed that some thought that ibanez was going after a spector-type sound with their choice of woods) to how the two compare. I am assuming that the spector is obviously better, but are they close in sound? I know the ibanez has barts, compared to the emg's in the spector. thanks for any help

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have experience with both and to me they are barely alike.

3. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    What is your take on the spector? I am mainly trying to decide on what i want to do about my 5 string situation. I really enjoy playing 4 strings more, and i have a peavey cirrus 5. I was debating on just going with the spector 4 and tuning my ibanez down.
    My other option would be to skip the spector, and go with the matching sr905 to go with the sr900 i have already. I like the sound of the cirrus, but the longer scale, and b string just isn't for me.

4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    If you want an Ibanez that does its best to sound like a Spector, track down the DWB4/5. It's basically Ibanez's take on a Spector, designed for Doug Wimbish (who actually still mostly plays the Spectors live! :D ). Not a bad bass, not quite up to Spector standards, but about half the price.

Russ :bassist: