Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How close is an ibanez sr900 to a spector euro 4 lx?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smitcat, Feb 28, 2005.

1. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    My latest G.A.S. issue is a spector euro 4 lx. I currently own an ibanez sr900, which i like a lot, but i was thinking about picking up a spector as well. I was curious as (in researching the spector, i noticed that some thought that ibanez was going after a spector-type sound with their choice of woods) to how the two compare. I am assuming that the spector is obviously better, but are they close in sound? I know the ibanez has barts, compared to the emg's in the spector. thanks for any help

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have experience with both and to me they are barely alike.

3. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    What is your take on the spector? I am mainly trying to decide on what i want to do about my 5 string situation. I really enjoy playing 4 strings more, and i have a peavey cirrus 5. I was debating on just going with the spector 4 and tuning my ibanez down.
    My other option would be to skip the spector, and go with the matching sr905 to go with the sr900 i have already. I like the sound of the cirrus, but the longer scale, and b string just isn't for me.

4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    If you want an Ibanez that does its best to sound like a Spector, track down the DWB4/5. It's basically Ibanez's take on a Spector, designed for Doug Wimbish (who actually still mostly plays the Spectors live! :D ). Not a bad bass, not quite up to Spector standards, but about half the price.

Russ :bassist: