1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How close is your Marcus Miller sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockwarnick, Feb 17, 2008.

1. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    this is for the marcus miller users out there.

who thinks they have the closest marcus miller sound? whats your set up? amps, pedals, strings, mods, etc. everything.

and dont bother with the "find your own sound man" crap cause i dont care. i have my own sound but every now and then i want to funk like marcus. and dont bother telling me about technique and how it affects his/my sound or anything other than how you get your best marcus sound imression. thanks.

2. I have a regular jazz but I find lots of tone, full bridge, 1/2 / 3/4 neck PUs and boosted mids work well for me! :)

Oh and new strings are a must for best sound I find...

3. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Peter Muller comes as close to Marcus' sound and vibe without being Marcus. Check him out here:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/petermuller

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Anybody with a TRUE 70's Jazz Bass...preamp or not :eyebrow:

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have a Marcus sig 4. I don't really try to cop his tone. I don't have the chops to bother. But, I get scads of compliments on my tone live with my jazz standards/bossas/sambas band when I put down the upright and strap on the Marcus.

I didn't appreciate the EQ points of the pre until playing live. They were lost on me in the studio/rehearsal space, but it's just right in the places we play. I can do smooth groove stuff on balads (summertime, Someone to watch over me, etc) and dig in and pop a little on Mas Que Nada or St. Thomas or the like with no adjustment- the pre lets the difference in attck come out and cut when it needs to. Cool.

Now if it were only also Vol/Blend with a passive tone.... I get hum in the poorly wired bars, so wide open seems to be the best option for the vol pots at the moment.

edit: your setup looks to me like one that should come pretty close! I have a Mesa M2000. It's a Boat Anchor by today's standards, but the versatility in something like that will get you anywhere you want to go.