how close to a musicman do you think this would get me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Supernova67, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    How close to that signature MM sound do you think i could get with a OLP MM-3 5-sting and a better pickup? ( i prolly wouldnt go active just because i dont want the extra hassle)
  2. Honestly, not very close.

Sorry to crap on your hopes, but I'm serious.
  3. SpIkE27Z

Jul 29, 2005
    Not the same lol, but for the price range OLP's are very very good
    I love mine
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1 you'd probably have better luck with the SUB
  5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    fredolee? :confused:
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Most of the musicman stingray sound is in the ORIGINAL pickup, and the preamp. Getting a body that LOOKS like one, and a pickup that LOOKS like one, doesn't make it SOUND like one.

Plenty of old posts here from people who have swapped to aftermarket electronics and pickups on real stingrays, and while they either did or did not like the new tone, all agree that it no longer sounded like a stingray when they did so.
  7. +1 on the SUB being much closer than OLP. Not too dig on OLP, but they're just no comparisson for that which is a REAL EBMM.

8. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I've been told the ATK does a pretty decent MM impression, maybe moreso than the OLP? I have an EDC710 with the same pickup, and I can get a very stingray-like sound with some settings.
  9. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    It wont-- get a SUB
  10. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

there is no significant difference in alnico 5 MM pups in my experience. I've had the Carvin, Nord, and Ray (that come to mind) and you'd get way more difference from the acoustic porperties of original MM basses than you'd get from those pups. They sound more alike than any other pup of a given type I've ran across to date.

Anyway, if you're heading in that direction I wouldn't get hung up on pup selection as long as it's alnico 5, the ceramics are noticeably brighter (which works if you've got a dark bass). I kept the original Ray only becuase it is the benchmark. In fact someone was looking for a Ray and I offered mine up at a fair price (3 times the Carvin in my recollection) and I was going to keep the Carvin cuase I had no use for both of them. He wasn't up for the difference and took the Carvin and to my knowledge was not disappointed.

The acoustic properties of a given bass will vary drastically. You can take 4 models of the same bass as they roll off the assembly line and you could probably pick one or two of them out blindfolded by the acoustic tone alone.

Personally I think you could get close enough for jazz and maybe VERY close.
  11. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Indeed I was not. I put the Carvin in a Cort SB10 (which is sort of a retro take on a Stingray) with a 250k volume pot and a series/parallel/single coil switch (all passive). I haven't had the chance to go head to head against a real Stingray, so I can't make a direct comparison. Obviously, it's not the Real Thing, but in a band setting with the right eq, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. If the SB10 itself was a little thicker sounding, it would be *really* close.

Anyway, I say go for it. Find the best sounding (acoustically), most comfortable, and most solidly constructed 'Ray-style bass you can afford, and start upgrading. You'll probably never nail the 'Ray tone exactly, but I bet you'll get pretty close. Provided you start with a decent bass and are willing to put some effort into it, I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed with the outcome.

BTW: It's not Stingray-like, but I love using the single coil mode when I'm slapping... sounds awesome. I don't notice much difference between the tone of the series and parallel modes (YMMV), but I think it's definitely worth it to add a coil tap.
  12. +1

I saw a performance, where the bassist wwas playing an OLP stingray. It sounded like crap. Not the wonderful booty of the real 'Ray, and awful treble...
  13. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

appreciate the feedback and it's good to hear your conclusions and that in deed you found some appealing tone from it. I would have been suprised otherwise but there's so many variables aside from personal preference.

I see some equipment glorified and some ripped and Carvin tends to get ripped and what little experience I have with their pups and one of their basses, personally, I just don't see it. I find it interesting how opinions change once the brand is known. Fender did a double blind study back in the 70's or 80's and they found players basically hear what they want to hear. I don't know if the study was ever duplicated but I know from my own experience that just an increase in volume is incredibly deceiving.

I ran that pup in the same bass straight to the jack through the same rigging and it sounded so similar to the original Ray that I couldn't tell any marked difference between the two - or any of replacement alnico 5's.

My guess is replacing the Carvin with an original Ray would yield VERY similar results. Don't know what's in a Ray harness and that could definetly be a factor depending on what it is. In my experience by far most of the tone in a bass itself is in the pup as that's where the signal originates. But I have messed with harnesses enough to know the tone can be drastically altered with the harness but whatever follows the pickup can only manipulate what the pup sends it, can't change it. The acoustic properties of the bass will definetly darken/brighten tone and throw in idiosyncratic affects of timbre.

You can get two models of the same bass and some will suck and some will sing. Lot of variables involved but the pup is at the core and the best place I know to begin modification.
  14. Let me just phrase it this way...

I owned an OLP and a Sterling simaltaneously... I swear by my right testicle, I could Pepsi-Coke challenged them anyday of the week just based on the quality feel alone.

In terms of sound, it gets objective but I'm merely warning you this: OLP's sound and feel like $200. 'Rays and Sterlings sound and feel like where the dough went.
  15. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Which brings to mind, if you haven't already done it, I'd play an original Ray at GC or wherever. It may be there are aspects of the Ray that have nothing to do with sound you don't like about it but are important to you that would rule it out. Don't know if they handle OLP or not but they'll probably have some low end version you can check out. Seems within the last year some TB'r picked up a Ray from GC for around $700 that had an LP in it and the pup alone was worth $300. GC has some great deals sometimes.

Feedback and opinions are often useful to provide a direction but it's no substitute for first hand experience.