Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How close to fame have you ever been?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jonathan2994, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Has anyone here ever played in a somewhat/fairly/highly popular band that put out an album? How's it going/what happened?

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Benji and the guys from Good Charlotte are really nice. The drummer from Underoath always likes hanging around local shows. Honorary Title are really nice guys.

Will probably meet more when playing Warped Tour this year.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    How close was I?

At the ripe age of 16, I was going to go audition for a pop-punk band of 20 somethings... They were looking good for a tour with NOFX... Then the singer decides he is an alcoholic, and there went that dream.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I once talked to Mike Money on AOL! :eek:

5. Years ago I was well known enough that I seldom went to bed alone and people whom I had never met gossiped about me. I spent many years assiduously working at becoming anonymous again. I prefer being judged on what I do today than a reputation for what I have done in the past.

I had a friend who won an Oscar and dealing with the fame just about ruined his life. On the other hand I had another friend who won an Oscar and it made very little difference.

If you are asking about success in the music business, the closest I ever came to a record was with a friend in an album deal with Epic. The album was in the can, the cover was being worked on and Columbia bought Epic. All the A&R men were fired, all the albums in the works were thrown in the garbage and that was the end. I came away with a great deal of respect for studio musicians, engineers and A&R people; but no respect for the “business” end of the business. It’s worse today. The only way I would think about pursuing a music career today would be the indie scene. I guess you could say I'm cynical about the music business and fame in general.

6. i sold snoop some ummmm......shrubbery..... that got taken from him leaving SD...

also check the System of as Down "Toxicity" disc.... Shavo and band thanked me..... i ran seedleSs clothing and zOng waterpipes at the time.... :cool:

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Does playing a Van Halen tune with Sammy Hagar on lead vocals at Cabo Wabo in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico count?

:cool:

:smug:

;)

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Neve came close to fame myself. There's a lot of local musos here that have though. One of the local guitar players use to play in Raging Slab.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I played a set with Al Wison. He had a hit in the 70's called "Show and Tell" with a great bass line. Some organization (Eagles, VFW, something) had him in for a fund raiser and my band was hired to back him. That was pretty fun.

10. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    a good friend of mine is taking guitar lesson from a guitarist that used to be in the band "Man of War"

11. Gotta love the Desperados! :bassist:

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, they're definatley awesome. Mark Middleton is the man! I don't get to catch them often since they're closer to Johnstown (though I'll be doing a gig there at the end of the month at a place called Westmont Gardens). I don't know a band with a bigger repetitiore of material.

13. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Seriously?!??What a cool job!!

Ya System are wicked for smoke I hear.Endorsers of 420bands.com wouldn't you know!

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i'm in the video for stretch arm strongs "black clouds".

also, i tried out for a band that was voted krock's best unsigned band of 90 something.

i tried out, yet they used all these wierd alternate tunings and such. i totally sucked at the gig, but im glad, they were tool boxes and went no where hahaha.

also in hs i was in the local paper a lot and on the local tv station because of sports.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    man, i actually HAD a zong that a friend gave me. my x broke it tho. =(

thankfully, the house im house sitting at, has a nice peice, because all i got in me now is papers. :hyper: :bassist:

hopefully, by 6, the veggie lasagna will be cook, the boat will be in the water, and the fish will be popping.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That sounds like the basis for a good stoner comedy movie. :D

17. I designed the logo for the "Julian Cannonball Adderley Jazz Foundation" and met his brother Nat and Marcus Roberts through functions with the foundation when he was just a kid at FAMU. I'm close friends with one of Nat's occasional recording partners, singer Pam Laws.

I once got a call to audition for Kenny Rankin's band way back when. I had already moved from the area and they tracked me down anyway. I turned them down. I knew I didn't have the chops but it was nice they asked.

I know (knew) Neil Diamonds mother-in-law from his first (and longest) marriage. Even got his old belt buckle after he appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in '68 through her.

I met Steve Morse once...

And finally, I've met Gard Lewis. The most famous bassist I know personally, one helluva nice guy, and certainly the fastest rising star in the world of bass and attending subcultures.

18. I once sent him an IM on AOL. He never replied though. :scowl:

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ....Hammy, you got a smile out of me, and that is really doing something on this day.

:)

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    more like a bad stoner movie. the type of stoner movie where the x smokes all your hooch.