Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How close to off can you set the tweeter without damaging anything?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Forgive me because I think this has been covered but I couldn't find anything w/ the search!

I'm running an Avatar B212 w/ Eden WT330 head. I like the running the tweeter pretty low but I fret for damage to my cab.

Anyone know about this?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You can't damage your cab by turning the tweeter low or off! That's what the knob is there for!

3. I could of swore I read on here on TB that someone fried their crossover or something, no? Or melted something, no?!?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I ran my Aguilar GS212 with the tweeter off the entire time I had it,... with no damage.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

6. why don't u just reach in the cab, and disconnect the wires from the tweeter. tada, problem solved. u are now running 2 12s full range

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

He mentioned that the L-pad was only rated at 15 watts. If you turn it all the way down, the tweeter gets nothing and you have a 15 watt resistor shunting high frequencies to ground. If you then crank the highs on your amp and/or bass, sending more than 15 watts to the L-pad is a real possibility in some instances. The new Avatar crossover would probably help and should sound better to boot, why not ask Dave about upgrade paths? Meanwhile, don't crank your highs and turn down the tweeter all the way. Or just disconnect the tweeter if that makes sense for your situation.

The power rating of the stock L-pad is probably fine for the vast majority of people. I don't have much experience with Avatars, but plenty of other people on TB do, eh?

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The problem wasn't a fifteen watt LPad, it was an inadequate crossover. Program power above 5kHz seldom amounts to more than 5% of the broadband figure, and with electric bass it's generally far less than that. But a crossover with less than a 3rd order (18dB) slope is inadequate to properly filter out the lower frequencies from the tweeter or the LPad used with it.