How come after class, everyone reaches for their phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Why do people love their cell phones so much? After all my classes, as soon as it's over 75% of the people are reaching for their cell phones. It's hilarious, people crack me up. WHAT IS SO IMPORTANT?

People remind me of a bunch of robot drones doing stupid behavioural things for no reason. I know i'm easly amused, but it's fun just watching how stupid people are.

I have a phone too, but barley even carry it on me. Half the time the battery is dead and the other half I don't even know where it is. But A majority of people are obsessed with their phones. Do these people have mental problems or what? It's just a "phone" people, settle down. Walking though campus between classes, at least 3 out of 10 people are on their phones. Pathetic.

Godzilla agrees with me yet again, and ravages a building filled with annoying girls talking on their phones.

So there has to be an explaination. Why the obsession with the phone?
  2. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    No offense, but they're probably cooler than you. I know how it is... sometimes I'm tempted to check my voicemail just to look like I'm busy. Fortunately my cell phone is kind of broken right now so I can't fake it anymore.
  3. maybe they have friends?
    i dunno.

personally i reach for my phone after my classes to check to see if anyone called me while i was in class...
  4. lmao!!!!!

yeah i do the same thing, i turn it on at the same time during lunch, and after 5th/6th period is over, but thats just turning it on though.

i've given up on noticing how weird people are, makes my head wanna explode
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    same here.

it's not that i'm "addicted" to my phone, but the right thing to do is call people back (or text them back).

besides. what else am i gonna do on my walk across campus?

and if the windows in buildings around your area look like that... then i think phones aren't as big of a problem anymore.
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    They are probably calling their friends to let them know about the roll of toilet paper suck to you pants...

:D :p
  7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have friends too, but there is no need to stay in touch with them all hours of the day. In fact, I get pissed when they call me, even more so if what they are calling me about isn't important.

You people are most certainly addicted to your cell phones. How did you survive 7-8 year ago before the huge cell phone wave?!
  8. Well, honestly I never look after class.. Always during class. I have an On the Job Training Senior Year, so I'm in school for two periods of the day... 1st period, DCT, aka, the OJT bookwork class. 2nd period, PE. So, I check my phone in the locke room and in class in DCT. Why? My girlfriend loves me, thats why... also, my friends are pranksters, and everynow and then I get a good g-string photo of the girl next to me from my buddy behind me... lmao.... silly girls, when will they learn???

Oh yeah, *** is up with *people of the urban culture, both black and white* downloading 10 bajillion rap songs to their phones, and then, 'batteling' with them?? Honestly, it's like they go "Check 'dis out John..." *music* "Yeah dog, dat's tite, but check 'dis sh!t out"... music.... and it goes back and forth... is this the new Pokemon?!?!?!?!?!?!

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    you didn't know? the new in thing is making different songs with the bass drum and snare in 4/4.

it is totally better than anything ever made
  10. If you mean the motomixer... I used to do that all the time on my girlfriend's phone when I got bored, lol. But now she has the new 3130 Mp3 phone... cuz she's a loser... Too bad my Samsung doesn't have it.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Depending on who it is, they might be checking about news regarding a gig...;)
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's even worse when you fly. As soon as the plane taxis to a stop, everybody digs their phone out. As soon as the captain gives the OK to turn them on, everybody turns them on at the same instant and starts calling everybody they know.
  14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

They are usually calling the people who are coming to pick them up at the airport to make sure they are on time.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not in my experience. Maybe 15 - 20% of them are. The rest are just shootin' the breeze with somebody.
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You get pissed if they take the time out of their day to bother to worry/care about an opinionated whiner like yourself? Moreso if they don't have a reason?

I am surprised that you have friends at all.
  17. i wouldn't say i'm addicted, but for a guy who is trying to find a job like myself, it's important to me that i get back to the people asap...i need a job!
    plus, why do you have a phone if you get mad when people call you? why not just get rid of your phones and not have to live with the stress of people trying to communicate with you?
  18. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Whats with biznaching on TB lately? It seems that its more then usual... that time of the month?
  19. my friens call me during class all the the time so i grab it to see what they wanted.
  20. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I keep my phone on silent while in class, so I only dig it out if someone called

pointless chatting pisses me off too, but it totally beats not having a phone :)