Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How come cabs with tweeters...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    ...never (as far as I know) have a switch that lets you send all the highs through the woofers if you don't want to use the tweeter?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    AFAIK most cabs with tweeter crossovers have them to keep the lows from going to the tweeter. They don't keep the woofer from producing whatever highs it can.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Cool, that's what I wanted to know. So basically the attenuation knob does the same thing anyway.

4. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Not true... at least for the peavey 410tx series. I know for a fact the 4-10s are used as a subwoofer/mid. There is a cap and inductor in the 10" circuit path. And when I bypassed the crossover the 10s sounds MUCH more alive. In fact I know run my cab without the horn and the 4-10's full range and it sounds great. I never really liked the sound on tweaters anywho... too tinny and harsh.

jam

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my goliath jr has nothin in between the 10's and the input.

my triad does, but that's kind of it's "thing" still...i could theoretically make the 15 full range, right?

6. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Theoretically... yes...lol It all depends on what the speakers are designed for. If the speaker(s) can handle the freguencies then it will work fine

Like Brad said cabs are made both ways....

Sorry, Brad I did not see the "MOST" in your posts. I ws no trying to jump on you.