Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How come I get mixed reviews?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'm on my way to buying a Mesa Powerhouse RR 1000. When I told my friend n the phone (A TBer), he scared me by saying they sound awful!!!

I know his and my tastes differ. He uses a high power SS amp and 2 Berg 1-12s, plays with a pick, and scoops the mids.

I play a Mesa 400+ Tube head, play with fingers, and balanced mids.

I am going to sell the Eden speakers (XLTs), which I like, after I get the Mesa, just in case. But now this kinda freaked me out.

Am I making a big mistake?

I am looking for girth and punchy and focused, some grind with a rock solid low end. NOT a fuzzy or soft sound

The Mesa description of the cab sounds about right.
    What Gives? Thanks, Bob

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You are always going to get mixed reviews simply because everybody has an opinion, different likes and dislikes, and different needs. It'll always happen, so get used to it, ignore it, and go with what you think sounds best to you.

. . . that being said, 'dem Mesa road-ready cabs are heavy critters to lug around, IMO . . .

3. Rockbobmel

168 pounds. Same as da fridge.

But do they SOUND heavy?

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles

Uhh,, I can't promise you'll love the sound of it,, BUT I can say that I at least will think your tone is 10x better than your friends.

P.S.,, I would probably buy it if I were you.

5. Rockbobmel

I just emailed the dude. He is shipping it on a Greyhound bus!

I don't have the details yet.

6. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i play a 400+ with what sounds like a similar tone, the powerhouse 1000 cab sounds to me like what you're describing, mine could be punchier but than again the road readys have a better reputation for punchiness so it should be good, i'm trying to get rid of this one and pick up a road ready but haven't been able too yet.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  8. Rockbobmel

Munji sais Ick..Theo says Yeah.

The guys that DO like Mesa say that they are MUCH better sonically....

I'm not looking for a good living room tone.... Good stage tone is where I'm at.

9. I played that cab just 2 weeks ago. I was playing through a mesa walkabout and a SR5 in a music store in Bridgeport WV. It sounded to me like a bass speaker that had been designed by a guitar player. Good bottom and mids but little if any highs. With most rigs, if you set the SR5 to parallel (switch all the way back) you get a really good slap tone. The RR 1000 I played just didn't have it. If you like the hi-fi tone of your Edens I don't think you'll care for the sound of the Mesa. (my opinion)