Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How come i have such a hard time making my Thumb and Euro LX sound good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm serious, they over drive my amp, they bottom ito ut. It sounds awful. I lack low end oooomph. The only bass that has a killer tone is my old Korean spector. It owns the thumb and euro lx. What is goin on with these basses? :meh:

2. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    Honestly, I don't think it's the gear. You may have your pre-gain too high on your amp, but also, you might want to check your right hand technique. If you play too hard fingerstyle, you actually choke the notes out. A lighter touch will also get you a deeper sound...it sounds paradoxical, but it's true. In addition, find a right hand sweet spot maybe a litle closer to the neck, but again, you need to lighten up your touch so you don't overplay the notes.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nICK ,
    as i stated in your "my amp sucks " thread , a lighter touch on the bass strings will help .
    no need to punish the bass , just lighten up a little , maybe the problem isn't really the amp or the basses ...

your basses do not suck ...

EDIT : excellent response , wasabi1264 , good advice for anyone ...

4. bassmanatlarge

bassmanatlarge

Jan 30, 2003
    But then of course it could be the thumb and the euro :rolleyes:

5. Nah, my pre-gain is really low. My dad coems out with this scientific stuff that the speaker is driving against the room resonance, and the wave lngth of the low E is longer than the length of the room, so it can't produce a good note. True?

6. And guys, I'm fighting with 2 distorted guitars, trying to be heard. When they boot the channel switch, I disappear. I might aswell not play. I can't keep up.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    One of the problems I had with my Czech Spector, was that the preamp was TOO hot. Even running the gain on my amp extremely low, the bass did want to overdrive the amp. You need to use a light touch, for sure. Also, look into some sort of pad to lower the signal going from your bass to your amp. As far as the thumb, it sucks because it is a Warwick.

8. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Nick....

At this point, you're over-analyzing it. It doesn't matter what sound comes out in the bedroom. You've got to just spend some time getting a good technique together, so you can sound good on any bass: POS or gem. I'm not the greatest bassist, but I get much the same "vibe" out of my son's Squier Bronco than I do with my StingRay 5 or Warrior or MTD.

Now, the thing is...yes...higher end basses sound better than the Squier! And each bass does have a different sonic signature. My upcoming F Bass will sound much different than my StingRay (and obviously my son's Squier). But I have a certain playing style and technique that I am continuously honing that so that my tone is consistently "me" no matter what the gear.

The challenge is making the "me" sound good enough so I and my audience appreciate it, and so that when I record, I'm getting pleasing tone to tape that serves the song and the production direction.

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nICK ,
    try a little more midrange , a little less bass response on the Ashdown .
    this should help you cut thru the mix ...
    oh yeah , TURN DOWN THE GUITARS , dammit !!!!

EDIT : i'm so confused between the two threads you have running .
    neither your basses , or your amp , suck ...

10. You're, those electronics are awful. I plug into the active bass input, and it still sounds, I've also been thiking of getting new strings for the spector, and a compressor(so I can turn the gain up, but not worry about hitting a note too hard and gettin over drive).

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The electronics AREN'T awful. They are just extremely high gain.
    At the time I had my Spector, I was using a Trace Elliot combo which had an input gain control. By using this control to minimize gain, and NOT cranking the bass up on the guitar (the Aguilar OBP-1 that came in that bass was BOOST only), I could keep the bass under control and the sound clean.

Also, as a previous poster noted, the key to being heard and punching through is in the midrange, not the bass freqencies. Run your bass flat or even slightly cut, and boost your midrange. It may sound like crap in your bedroom, but in a band setting, you'll cut right through.

12. Maybe it's too loud or something.

13. Hmmm, I want a tone very much like the one that Urb Munk posted on his recording. That rocked, I've been trying ot get one like that for ages.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe his skillz0rz are just > j00.

Honestly, its probably your technique or the EQ settings. If the basses 'suck', they wouldnt be popular.

15. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    The point is, even if you had his exact gear (or Mike Kroeger's, or whomever), and even his eact settings, you're NOT going to get THAT tone. It's so much in the hands...I can't stress this enough. Find YOUR sound. Analyze the playing techniques of people, and not the equipment. You really seem to be stressing the wrong thing. It's easy to keep blaming your gear, or thinking new gear is the answer. You've got to just promise yourself you use what you have to the best of your ability, and leave it alone for a while. You hae good gear...better than 95% of the pro players out there, many whom just use a stock Fender!

16. My technique is fine, I invite you to look at it. You won't find anything wrong with it.

17. I'm starting to think selling my stock fender jazz was one of my biggest mistakes :crying: The tone ruled, just the huge body didnt.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You openly admitted a few months ago that you thoguht your technique was perfect but then were pointed out that indeed there were some flaws (IIRC)..

technique doesnt always mean 'oh, do i hold my thumb in the wrong place?' It could mean simply that your attack is too great, ala, you play too hard. You say you attempt to cut through, so this is definitely worth looking into.

Instead of playing louder, try to find out what EQ settings will help you cut through.

19. Maybe flawless technique is your problem. You're simply too good for those basses. I'd be willing to take the Spector off your hands, and since my technique is far from being flawless, the bass just might sound good with me playing it. :D

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    If you're having trouble cutting through, try soloing the bridge pickup and plucking near the bridge. When you play alone, a soloed bridge pickup may sometimes sound weird, but chances are that it'll sound just right in a band setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.